五 | bargaining

"MAYBE IF I—" 

"—Todoroki-san, what are you doing?"

Todoroki jumped abruptly, turning to glance over at his classmates. Yaomomo stood with Mina behind her and Kirishima on her other side. Midoriya even seemed to be paying attention, emerald eyes sparkling with concern and curiosity turning to look in his direction. One glance at his paper sent shivers down the black-haired girl's spine.

Y/n's name was written multiple times in kanji, littering the top page of his journal. It was written so many times it was difficult to tell what it was in the first place. At Yaomomo's reaction, Kirishima tried to peek over her shoulder, but she took a step back, preventing Mina and Kirishima from seeing it.

They looked at each other confusedly, shrugging afterward. "I was just. . . thinking about her," Todoroki said lamely, unsure of how else to answer. It was clear as day as to what he was thinking of. Everyone shared another look, equally unsure as to how to respond. "Well, just know that she's. . . thinking about you too?" Denki chipped in.

Hagakure smacked the top of his head. If she wasn't invisible, she would probably have a disappointed scowl shaping her lips. Ojiro even shook his head at him, the blond sulking and shrinking back to his seat. "I appreciate the support, really." Todoroki smiled fondly, the most that they'd gotten out of him after a while.

They seemed relieved for a bit until he continued.

"But I think if I had just saved the kid instead, none of this would've happened."

It was the way that he said it so nonchalantly that sent chills down their spine. They watched as he continued on with his schoolwork as if he hadn't said something so morbid. "Class is starting," Aizawa reminded in a deep voice, the rest of them quickly finding their seats after crowding around their classmate so much.

Todoroki was quick to pay attention in class, but his eyes kept drifting towards the empty desk that wasn't far from him. It was set diagonal from Bakugo's, so their eyes would keep clashing. However, Bakugo didn't say anything. He'd just scowl and look away or divert his eyes. It was clear that he didn't want to send any kind of vibe to the dual-haired boy.

Shoto thought back to the kid that she had saved so bravely. If she had just let him fall, would she still be alive? Even he seemed disturbed, his body freezing as he blinked wildly at nothing. "Todoroki-san?" Yaoyorozu looked at him, clearly concerned as the pencil dropped from his grip and onto the desk.

He waved her off quickly, but the action didn't go unnoticed by Aizawa. 

"I don't feel like teaching today. Just finish the notes on the board and do whatever," He said before walking over to Todoroki's desk, tapping it twice to get his attention. Albeit, Shoto was already paying attention to Aizawa. "You don't need to let me know if you need to walk out," Aizawa spoke, onyx eyes gazing at the heterochromatic boy.

Todoroki shook his head adamantly, his hands shaking slightly. "I'm fine." Aizawa glanced down at him, knowing that no matter how much he bugged the dual-haired boy, he'd refuse to comply. He nodded simply, heading back to the front to zip himself into his sleeping bag. Shoto's hand gently picked up the pencil as he continued copying the notes.

He tapped at his desk, glancing back at the chalkboard covered with words. Even the most minuscule of things haunted Todoroki. If he had called her that night like she wanted to, would she have still been alive? It was hard to question himself. She had wanted to hear his voice so bad, but he was so incredibly tired, he had to decline.

If he hadn't taken her on that date to the park, would she still be alive?

If he had scheduled it the next day instead, would she be alive?

What would it take to bring her back?

He blinked wildly, glancing down at the words on his paper that seemed to blur together all of a sudden. His head pounded as he rushed out of his seat, stumbling towards the door. Everyone looked at him. He knew they were looking at him, so why did it haunt him so much now? Shoto managed to get over to the water fountain, keeling over as he pressed the button.

He took in huge gulps of the water, the coldness of it slapping him awake. The dual-haired boy let out a sigh, tilting his head back as he held onto the fountain for stability. His head still hurt. His body still hurt. Y/n must've felt worse, though. If he was quick enough, would she still be alive? 

His head pounded with the same thoughts again and a silent groan left his lips. "Todoroki-san?" He turned his head, his eyes meeting an orange-haired girl's. She was staring at him, clearly concerned. Now that he squinted, she actually seemed a bit familiar; was she from class 1-B? Probably.

He stared at her as she tilted her head at him, "Are you alright? Do you need to go to Recovery Girl?"

His mind flitted back to Y/n's death at her words. Maybe if I'd gotten her to Recovery Girl. His head hurt as he knelt, his hand flying to his forehead as another pained groan left his lips. Kendo's eyes widened, quickly realizing that he was in no condition to walk to the nurse's office on his own, even with help.

She quickly activated her quirk, scooping him up with her big hands as she carried him to Recovery Girl. This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've done with my quirk. Kendo thought to herself, rushing over. Her sneakers slammed against the floor of the school building before she quickly slid to a stop in front of a room.

One of her hands shrunk and she slid open a door, the other unraveling Todoroki onto a bed. Recovery Girl turned to look, clearly caught off guard. "H-He was just standing at the water fountain and started groaning so I got worried—" She stuttered a bit, panting out of exhaustion. The old woman nodded at her gratefully.

"—it's fine, my dear. I'll let Aizawa know, go back to class."

Kendo bowed, letting out another breath before scurrying back to class.