An Unexpected Talk With Some Beavers, a Betrayal, and a Death Threat

Peter held my hand and we started following the beaver with Lucy, but Susan stopped us.

"What are you doing?" she hissed. Edmund nodded.

"She's right, how do we know we can trust him?"

Peter shrugged.

"He said he knew the faun."

Susan rolled her eyes.

"He's a beaver. He shouldn't be saying anything!"

Just then, the beaver popped back.

"Is everything all right?" he asked. I nodded quickly.

"Yes, we were just talking."

"Well, that's better left for safer quarters," the beaver whispered. Lucy looked around.

"He means the trees."

I sighed. We had nothing to lose so we followed the beaver.

"Come on. We don't want to be caught out here after nightfall," he hissed. We must have walked for at least half an hour because I started shivering from the cold. Peter started to take off his jacket to give it to me, but I stopped him.

"I'm perfectly fine, Peter. Take care of yourself," I whispered. Before he could answer, the beaver spoke again.

"Blimey! Looks like the old girl has the kettle on! Nice cup o' Rosy Lee"

I looked down to see a house, made of random pieces of sticks. It looked very cozy.

"It's lovely," I commented. He shrugged modestly.

"It's merely a trifle you know. Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though,"

We walked toward the den and heard a more feminine voice.

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again, I.. Oh!"

Another beaver, a female, came into view.

"Well, those aren't badgers" she said, referring to us. I smiled awkwardly.

"Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day!"

I glanced at Peter. How did she know us?

"Look at my fur! The female exclaimed.

"You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?"

The male, who I had decided to call Mr. Beaver, laughed.

"I'd have given you a week if I thought it would've helped."

We all laughed except for Edmund.

"Oh come inside, and we'll see if we can get you some food, and some civilized company," Mrs. Beaver said, staring forcefully at her husband who chuckled.

"Now careful, watch your step."

Still holding Peter's hand, I walked into the den.

We had settled down and were drinking some tea when Peter asked a question.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?"

Mr. Beaver sighed

"They'll have taken him to the Witch's house. You know what they say. There's few that go through them gates that come out again."

Mrs. Beaver walked up to the table, holding a plate of food.

"Fish 'n' chips?" She asked. I smiled at the plate. There was fish...and woodchips. Mrs. Beaver turned to Lucy, who looked like she was about to cry.