We Got Hit By a Waterfall, Met a Talking Lion, and Killed a Wolf to Save Edmund

"Wait," I said after Father Christmas was out of sight.

"He said winter was almost over. That means..."

Peter groaned.

"No more ice."

The only part of the river that was still frozen was a small area near the waterfall- and it was decreasing at a worrisome rate.

"We need to cross, now!" I exclaimed. Lucy turned quickly to the beavers.

"Don't beavers make dams?"

"I'm not that fast, dear." Mr. Beaver answered.

"Come on!" Peter shouted.

"Wait! Will you think about this for a minute?" Susan exclaimed.

"We don't have a minute," I snapped.

"I'm just trying to be realistic," she mumbled.

"No, you're trying to be smart. As usual," Peter accused.

AWOOOOOOOOOOOO

"The wolves are close!" I hissed. I helped Lucy down onto a narrow ledge leading to the river. We all stumbled down to the river bank and I almost cried when I saw what was happening. The ice was almost gone, only about fifteen feet remained. I tested the remaining ice. It sunk a bit and I quickly backed away.

"Wait, maybe I should go first," Mr. Beaver said. Peter looked worriedly at the ice.

"Maybe you should."

Mr. Beaver slowly made his way onto the ice, slapping it with his tail. A few hairline fractures appeared, but it didn't crack all the way.

"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?!" Mrs. Beaver exclaimed.

"Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last! Especially with your cooking,"

I sighed. I grabbed Lucy's hand, and we all took a step onto the ice.

Crack

The ice started to crack slowly. Lucy shrieked.

"Luc, it's going to be ok," I whispered soothingly.

"If mum knew what we were doing," Susan muttered.

"Mum's not here!" Peter snapped. Lucy screamed.

"OH NO!"

I looked up and saw the wolves, running over the waterfall above us.

"SHIT! RUN!"

But we weren't fast enough. The wolves skidded across the ice, right in front of us. I turned around, hoping to escape the other way, but there were more wolves, and cracked ice. One of the wolves lunged at Mr. Beaver

"NO!" Mrs. Beaver screamed.

"Logan! Peter!" Lucy cried, terrified. Peter unsheathed his sword. I put my hands on the curved swords Father Christmas had given me. I had strapped them onto my back, and I was ready to draw them.

"Someone could get hurt," The wolf said silkily. I cried out, seeing one of the wolves, attacking Mr. Beaver.

"Don't worry about me!" He yelled.

"Run him through!"

"Leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you," the wolf growled. Peter kept his sword up.

"Stop Peter, maybe we should listen to him!" Susan yelled. The wolf chuckled.

"Smart girl."

"Don't listen to him!" Mr. Beaver cried.