Chapter Twenty-Two

I woke up just as the sun began rising above the clouds, the only sound being the slight rustling of the leaves and the birds chirping amongst the trees. After last night, I decided against going back to the studio, knowing that if I did, I probably would have ended up saying something I'd regret. I sat up, glancing out at the view in front of me; from here, I could see the entire city.

"I thought I'd find you here," A voice spoke from behind me; I sighed, keeping my gaze on the view ahead of me; I should have known he'd come here; Luke is the only person that I've ever brought here. "Charlie?" Luke asked; I could hear the crunching of leaves, indicating that he was walking over to me, "We're really sorry," He apologized, his knee brushing against mine as he sat down, "I'm really sorry." Luke sighs; I had yet to look over at him. "Do you remember the first time we came here?" He asked me, changing the conversation, "it was right after I ran out on my parents, you took me here, and you said," My heart hammered loudly in my chest, that was the day I realized I liked him as more than a friend, "I know it seems like your world is crashing around you," I finally looked over at him, shocked that he remembered the words I had spoken to him, "and right now, it feels like no one is there for you,"

"But I will always be here," I finally speak, finishing off the speech I had given him, "You're stuck with me, Patterson." Luke chuckled lightly, nodding his head.

"You didn't mean it, right?" Luke asked, looking down into my eyes seriously; I scrunch up my eyebrows in confusion, "that joining the band was a mistake?" I sigh, standing up from my spot on the ground.

"I don't know," I say after a moment, thinking over the question he asked me. "Sometimes, I wonder if my life would've been easier if I never joined the band." I admit, knowing that without the band, my relationship with mom would have been better, "but you guys are my family," Luke looks up at me, "this band is the best thing that's ever happened to me, even if things are hard sometimes."

"Does this mean that your back?" Luke asks, standing up from his spot on the ground.

"I was never really gone," I remind him, chuckling lightly, "but yes, I'm back."

"I'm about to do something, and you're really gonna hate it," Luke says before I can question what he means; Luke wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me into his arms, my body instantly stiffened at his gesture. "Thank you," He mumbled into my shoulder; I blushed at his action, lifting my arms to wrap around his shoulders.

"You're welcome," I chuckle awkwardly, "Can you uh-"

"Oh, yeah, sorry," Luke pulls away from the hug, smiling bashfully; I can't help but notice the faint blush making its way onto his cheeks, "We should probably go see Alex and Reggie," He says, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "They're worried about you."

"Meet you in the studio?" I ask, Luke nods, and the two of us poof away. As we enter the studio, I see Alex and Reggie sitting on my couch, waiting. Alex look's up first, his cheeks stained with tears, while Reggie just sighs, smiling up at me, relieved.

"Oh, thank god," Alex mumbles, shuffling over to where I stood; before I can say anything, Alex wraps his arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug. "I was so worried about you." I pat my brother's shoulder comfortingly, pulling myself out of his arms.

"Charlie," Reggie says, standing up from his spot on the couch, "We are so so so so-"

"It's okay," I cut him off, knowing his apology could go on for a while, "Luke and I talked it out; you're forgiven,"

"Oh, phew," Reggie sighed, pulling me into a hug; I groan; what was with everyone hugging me today.

"Still not a fan of hugs," I remind them, peeling Reggie off of me; all three of them chuckle, nodding their heads in understanding. "So, have you talked to Julie?" I asked them, knowing that she might not be as easily persuaded as I was.

"Nope," Alex says, "but we have a plan." I gesture for him to elaborate, "I was walking by this coffee shop the other day, and they're having an open-mic night."

"So, you think booking another gig will help her forgive you?" I ask; all three boys nod, and I sigh, "I guess it's worth a shot," I shrug; the boys smile at my approval, sitting down on the chairs and couch triumphantly. I playfully roll my eyes, walking over to my chest of clothing; as I pick up my outfit, the calendar that Julie put on the wall catches my eye; I had forgotten entirely what today was.

"Hey Luke," I call out; The brunette boy stands up from his spot on the couch, walking over to where I stood, "Happy birthday!"

"W-what?" He stuttered, shocked that I had remembered the day; he then glanced over at Reggie and Alex, checking to see if they heard me.

"You don't want them to know?" I ask quietly so only he can hear; Luke nods, "Okay,"

"Thanks, Charlie," He says, smiling down at me.

"Of course," I nod, smiling in return, "Go ahead to the coffee shop without me," I say, this time addressing all three of the boys.

"Alright," Reggie says, saluting me goodbye, "see ya, Char!"

"Bye, little sis," Alex says, him and Reggie both poof away.

"Bye, birthday boy," I wink at Luke, poofing away to get ready; before I leave, I notice the slight blush has made its way back onto his cheeks.