Chapter Thirty-Two

"Eat up, boys," I remember Luke saying before we ate the hotdogs, "because, after tonight, everything changes." Images of all of us sitting on the warn-out couch flash through my mind; I rack my brain, searching for a memory of the moments that came after, but I can't; all I remember is not feeling well and falling asleep. Alex and I currently sat side by side in the Orpheum, staring up at the stage we were supposed to play on that night; we came here so we could come up with ideas on how to play a gig here, but considering the silence that fell over us, I didn't think he had any ideas either. The sound of someone poofing next to Alex broke the silence; I glanced over, expecting to see one of our bandmates; instead, I was greeted by Willie, glancing over at my brother and I sadly.

"This whole thing sucks," I say, breaking the silence; Alex nods, in agreement, sitting up straighter.

"Yeah, I really messed up," Willie replies, staring ahead sadly.

"No, it's like you said," Alex begins to reassure him, causing Willie to look at us both again, "you know, you didn't have a choice."

"It's true; I mean, this Caleb guy owns your soul," I agree with my brother; I was pretty upset with Willie last night, but none of this really was his fault.

"No, still, I know what he's capable of. I brought you guys right to him." Willie takes a breath, turning to look at the stage again, "when you guys asked me, I should've just skated away."

"I would have still followed you," Alex says; Willie looks over at him again, and my heart breaks at the sight of the two of them.

"I would do anything to take back what I did to you," Willie says to Alex; just as he says that, another jolt hits Alex, causing my brother to groan in pain. I instantly place my hand on my brothers' shoulder, trying to comfort him.

"I'm so sorry," Willie sighs, his eyes instantly full of worry, "did you guys figure out what your unfished business is?"

"Yup," I scoff, glancing around at the room, "but it's impossible." I had tried to remain hopeful and optimistic for the boys' sake, but it was hard, "we have to play here." Willie's eyes widen in shock, glancing around the venue.

"T-the Orpheum?" He stuttered.

"Yeah, I mean, we were two hours away from getting on that stage the night we died," Alex informs Willie, pointing to the stage.

"You guys were gonna be legends," Willie says.

"Yeah," My brother says, "we were." I glance down at my lap sadly, and now we never will be.

"I'm sorry," Willie apologizes again, "I-I should go," Willie stutters after a couple of minutes; Alex and I both nod in understanding as he poofs away, leaving just my brother and I alone in the venue.

"Are you okay?" I ask my brother once Willie is gone; Alex has never been able to handle change well, and everything kept changing in his life.

"Not really," He shrugs, "can you tell me something happy?" I chuckle lightly at his request, "what's going on with you and Luke?" I pause; what was going on with us? I mean, we both like each other, but we never discussed what happens next.

"I-I don't know," I stutter; Alex shakes his head, disappointed with my reply, "I doubt our relationship status is on his mind, not with everything that's going on."

"Well, have you asked him?" I shake my head; sure, I was getting better at being open about my feelings, but that doesn't mean I still don't get scared. "C'mon, Charlie."

"I've never been in a relationship before," I remind him, chuckling at his dramatic response, "I don't know what to do."

"Write him a song or something," Alex suggests.

"I did, and we sang it together," I inform him, "and I think he was about to ask me, but then he got hit by one of those stupid jolts." Alex frowns, and I can tell he is trying to think of more ideas; as we sit in silence, it hits me, I know what I have to do. "Okay, I might have an idea," Alex faces me, nodding for me to explain, "you remember that song he wrote for his mom? What if I can somehow get her to read it,"

"What does that have to do with your relationship status?"

"Well, Luke's biggest regret in his life is running out on his mom." I begin to explain, "but if I can do this for him and show Emily how much he loved her, maybe he'll see just how much I care about him."

"That's a really good idea," Alex nods in approval, "but how do you plan on bringing the song to Emily." I think for a moment, wishing there was a way I could speak to Emily: but maybe I didn't need to be the one speaking; I just needed someone who could hear what I want to say and tell her.

"I think I have an idea," I exclaimed, standing up from my seat, "I have to go; are you gonna be okay by yourself?" Alex nodded his head, gesturing for me to go, and I did, poofing into the crowded halls of Julie's school. I walked the halls for a few minutes, finding her shortly after, having a conversation with Nick.

"That's really sweet of you," I heard Julie say as I walked up behind her, "but I'm just not looking for a relationship right now; everything is kinda crazy right now with school and the band."

"I get it," Nick assured her, "still dance partners, though, right?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Okay, well see ya," He said, walking away from Julie; as Julie turn to watch him leave, she spotted me standing behind her, jumping slightly in surprise.

"I thought you liked him; why'd you say no?" I ask her; Julie sighs, pulling her phone out of her pocket, "Oh," I point to the phone, "smart!"

"I thought I liked him," Julie began, pretending to talk into her phone, "but I barely even know him, and between the band and school, dating isn't my number one priority right now."

"That's really wise," I tell her, nodding my head in approval.

"So, was there something you needed?" She asked, glancing around the halls, which were becoming emptier by the second, everyone was going to class.

"I have a favor to ask you," I say; Julie nods for me to go on, "Okay, so you know that song, Emily?"

"The one about Luke's mom?" Julie asks; I furrow my brows in confusion; how'd she know that "Reggie and Alex took me there on Luke's birthday," she explained, "anyways, continue."

"I want to give it to his mom," I tell her, "but I need you to do the talking." Julie thinks about it for a moment, "please, Julie, you understand more than anyone what it's like to lose a mom; I just wanna help Luke's parents see how much he loved them."

"Alright," Julie agreed, "I'm in." I smile gratefully at the girl, "I'll meet you at his parents after school."

^^ Charlie's outfit

^^ Charlie's outfit

Unsaid Emily is the next chapter... prepare the tissues.