Chapter Thirty-Six

I groaned in discomfort as I opened my eyes; my head was pounding, and my neck was sore from the way it had been resting. I scan the room and instantly assume that I'm backstage at the infamous ghost club; from my peripheral vision, all I can see are transport cases; in front of me is a staircase leading up, to I am assume the rest of the club. I also notice that I'm no longer wearing the pants and top I had on; instead, I had a one-shouldered, floor-length gown.

"What?" I mutter; I go to move my hand from behind me, wincing in pain when I get shocked by something holding them together.

"Oh good," Caleb comes around the corner, walking down the set of stairs in front of me, "You're awake."

"Let me go," I growl, glaring harshly at the man standing in front of me; I wring my hands once more, getting shocked by the rope holding them together again.

"I'd quit moving if I were you," He warned, taking a sip from the teacup in his hand, "It'll only get worse."

"What do you want from me?" I ask, no longer fighting against the restraints that held me down.

"What? You didn't think I'd want your bandmates and not you?" He laughed, shaking his head in amusement; my eyes widen slightly in realization, "I didn't give you my stamp," Caleb informs me, notching the panic in my eyes, "not yet anyway; if you do as I say, you won't need to get it." I take a breath, nodding my head in understanding; why hadn't I thought about the fact that Caleb might come after me too? It only made sense. "Good," He nods in approval, walking back up the steps, "I'll be back in a minute with the rest of your bandmates; I'm sure they're worried sick about you." I glared at him harshly as he poofed away, going to retrieve the boys. I sigh in defeat; I guess this is it; we're never going to make it to the Orpheum on time. A minute later, just like Caleb said I hear familiar voices coming from up the stairs.

"Where's Charlie?" I hear Luke ask, his voice full of concern.

"Don't worry," Caleb reassured them; I felt a gust of wind hit me, and I appeared in front of the boys, my arms still tied behind my back.

"Oh, thank god," Luke muttered; all three of the boys let out relieved breaths. My eyes instantly land on Luke; I can't help but admire the perfectly fitted navy blue suit that he must have gotten from Caleb; and how his hair is styled messily, making him look even more handsome than usual, which I didn't think was possible. Luke's eyes widened as well, taking in the floor-length emerald green dress I wore.

"Don't you all look nice," Caleb complimented; I shifted back in forth uncomfortably, not used to the high heels Caleb had placed on me.

"Sweet threads," Reggie said, his mouth opens wide in shock; I stepped forward to stand with the boys, wincing when Caleb pulled at the restraints holding my hands back, causing a jolt of electricity to hit my wrist.

"H-how'd you know our sizes?" Alex asks, staring down at his pink suit.

"That's your question," Luke snaps, pulling at the neck of his suit uncomfortably.

"I know you boys aren't my biggest fans," Caleb sighs, clicking his tongue disappointedly, "and an eternity at my club might sound overwhelming, but I just put you in sweet threads, so humor me this one last pitch."

"Don't listen to him," I warn the boys; stomping the back of my heel on Caleb's foot, he gasps in surprise, releasing his grip on the restraints on my wrist. I shuffle over to the boys before he can grab me again; Luke wrapped his arm around my waist protectively, pulling me close to him.

"Now, for starters," Caleb began, placing his foot back on the ground, "isn't it nice that you're all here together?" All three of the boys glance at me sadly; I wasn't supposed to come here, "And believe me, everything you want, including Willie is here," I scoff at his bribe, causing him to point at me, "and now Charlies joined us, so the whole band can be together."

"Did he give you the stamp?" Luke whispers in my ear, his voice full of anxiety; I shake my head, causing him to let out a small breath of relief.

"And on my stage," Caleb continued, stepping closer to the four of us, "you don't vanish when the music stops; you soak in the applause for as long as you want." Caleb reaches forward, twirling a piece of my short hair around his finger, "The connection that you will feel with that audience," He reaches for Luke now, adjusting his bowtie. Caleb places his hands-on Luke's shoulders after, causing Luke to look up and meet his gaze. "Will be like no other, I promise." I open my mouth to fight back, but the audience begins to cheer from behind the curtains, causing Caleb to shush us. "Oh! Shh. Do you hear that? They're waiting for you." He tells us; the boys get jolted after he says that, bending over in pain.

"Are you okay?" I ask, frowning down at the three of them; Caleb winces, shaking his head.

"That one looked like it hurt," The boys stand up straighter now, wincing lightly as they do, "Now, let me remind you," Caleb begins, allowing one of his employees to help him put his jacket on, "you don't know if playing the Orpheum is your unfinished business; do you really have time to make that mistake? I suggest you accept my offer because the clock is ticking." Just as he says that the boys get hit again, causing them to groan in pain.

"Ouch," He says in mock sympathy, "you know where to find me." He reminds us before strutting through the curtains.

"I hate him," I mutter, watching as he obnoxiously greets the crowd.

"Are you okay?" Luke asks, standing up straight, placing his hand on my cheek; I shrug in response; if I'm being honest, I was scared; scared of this man taking a claim on my soul, afraid of not making it back to the Orpheum in time and losing the boys forever. Caleb greets the audience and begins singing a song, a sinister smirk on his face the entire time; he looks at us the whole time, practically dedicating the performance to us. I tap my foot to the beat; it felt like the music was taking control of my body; I could not stop. I wasn't the only one feeling this way though, all three of the boys moved along to the music, serious expressions on their faces. I frowned at my brother as I watched him pull up his drumstick, spinning it around in his hands; the song slows down, and Alex poofs away; appearing at a drum set in the center of the stage.

"Alex, show me what you got," Caleb sings, dancers moved aside; displaying my terrified brother to the crowd, "Reggie, swing it, baby," He whispers; I hear a bass and turn my head to where Reggie used to be; he was on stage now too, glancing around with wide eyes. "Now, Luke," He sings, pointing over to where Luke and I stood; Luke released his hand from my waist, picking his guitar up; as he walked on the stage to play his solo, I could tell he was trying to fight against Caleb's power, but it was useless, he's too strong. "And everybody," He calls out to the crowd, "give it up for Miss Charlie Marie Mercer." I poof away, landing behind a keyboard; my hands are finally released from their restraints, forced to play the instrument in front of me instead; I play along with Luke's guitar solo, my eyes not leaving him the whole time. "How do you like my new band?" Caleb asked the crowd; the audience roared with applause. As Caleb finished the song; I played the keys, my body moving along to the music against my own will; the boys and I share a look as Caleb hits the final note, all of us thinking the same thing, we're stuck here.

 As Caleb finished the song; I played the keys, my body moving along to the music against my own will; the boys and I share a look as Caleb hits the final note, all of us thinking the same thing, we're stuck here

^^ Charlie's dress

🤍
Only a couple chapters left🥺