[45]

---

---

I was stood outside the Cullen's house with a few of the other vampires we had housed. Zafrina, who could make you see whatever she wanted you to, was showcasing her powers on Edward, Bella and I. 

"If you weren't holding my hand right now, I could swear this was real," Edward voiced. 

"I don't see anything," Bella replied. 

"Neither," I added

Eleazar approached us. "Edward, you didn't tell me your wife is a shield."

"Why you saying your wife instead of Bella?" I asked, my gaze flicking between Eleazar and Edward. 

"What's a shield?" Bella questioned, deciding to ignore me, something that I was quickly becoming used to. 

"Put two and two together, Bells, you shield yourself from attacks on the mind, dipshit," I answered. 

Edward looked to Bella, smiling slightly, "The ones I've met are so different."

"It's a defensive talent," Eleazar confirmed. 

"It's why I couldn't read your mind, even before. It's why Aro couldn't," Edward explained. 

"You have a very powerful gift."

Kate, who stood behind Bella, grabbed her hand and began using her gift on her, "Oh, yeah, she's a shield, all right. Shoulda put her on her ass."

"Try me," I exclaimed, holding out my hand with a smile. 

"Okay, that's not happening," Esme uttered, pulling me back slightly. 

Garrett, who seemed to ignore mine and Esme's interaction, spoke up, "Or your voltage has been exaggerated." 

"Maybe it only works on the weak," Kate challenged, holding out her hand. 

Garrett held his hand out, reaching towards her. He held out one finger.

"Garrett, I wouldn't," Carlisle warned. 

Garrett didn't listen, touching her hand anyway. He convulsed slightly as he fell to his knees. 

"You are an amazing woman."

Our slight fun was interrupted by the sound of two vampires approaching. I frowned, turning to the others to see if they knew who it was. No one did. The wolves had chased them through the forests, only for the pair to climb the trees. We reached where they had stopped, mocking the wolves.

"Vladimir, Stefan, you're a long way from home," Carlisle greeted. 

"What are they doing here?" Kate muttered.

"We heard the Volturi were moving against you. But that you would not stand alone," Vladimir announced. 

"We didn't do what we were accused of," Carlisle informed. 

"We do not care what you did, Carlisle," Vladimir dismissed.

"We have been waiting a millennium for the Italian scum to be challenged," Stefan continued. 

"It's not our plan to fight the Volturi," Carlisle yelled up to them.

"Shame. Aro's witnesses will be so disappointed," Vladimir revealed. 

"They enjoy a good fight."

"Aro's witnesses?" Eleazar spoke. 

"Aww. Still hoping they'll listen?" Vladimir mocked.

"Sorry, why are we listening to what a Dracula knock-off and Walmart Gru are saying?" I questioned. 

I almost shrank back when they sent me one of the dirtiest looks I had ever received. Instead, I glared right back. I was protected, so they couldn't do anything, hopefully. 

---

All the vampires were gathered in the Cullen's living room, including me. I sat with Kiki in my lap. 

"When Aro wants someone from a coven it's never long before evidence turns up proving that coven committed some crime," Eleazar explained. 

"So he's done this before?" Bella inquired. 

"It happens so rarely, I never realized it was a pattern."

 Carlisle glanced around the room, "Apparently he always pardons one person whose thoughts he claims are repentant."

"This person always has an ability. And they're always given a place with the Guard," Eleazar continued. 

"This is all about Alice. He has no one like her," Edward told.

"Which is why she left," Bella exclaimed. "We can't let him get to Sky, either. He'll want her on his side."

"Sorry, I am not becoming the token black person in some old ass cult," I argued. My eyes were wide as my head snapped between the family. 

"We won't let that happen," Rosalie reassured. 

Emmett frowned, "Why does he need witnesses?" 

"To spread the word that justice has been served. After he slaughters an entire coven," Alistair revealed. 

"Always the life of the party I see," I muttered. 

Amun began walking towards the rest of his coven, "Benjamin, Tia, we're leaving." 

Edward stared at him for a second, "And where will you go? What makes you think they'll be satisfied with Alice? What's to stop them from going after Benjamin next?" He began gesturing around the room. "Or Zafrina or Kate or anyone else with a gift? Anyone they want. Their goal isn't punishment, it's power, it's acquisition. Carlisle might not ask you to fight, but I will. For the sake of my family. But also for yours. And for the way you want to live."

No one spoke for a few seconds before Jacob stood up. 

"The packs will fight. We've never been afraid of vampires."

The Delani coven was the next to stand. 

"We will fight," Tanya spoke. 

Garrett stepped forward, "This won't be the first time I fought a king's rule."

"We'll join you," Benjamin told. 

Amun tried to protest. 

"I will do the right thing, Amun. You may do as you please."

Senna was the next to join, "We will stand with you."

Soon the whole room was with us, thank God. It would have been really awkward if they hadn't. 

"That didn't take much," Vladimir commented. 

 "Let's hope it doesn't come to that," Edward uttered.

"We'll see," Alistair whispered. 

"Man, why you gotta be such a pessimist, chill for like five minutes," I blurted. 

"Forgive her, she has no filter," Esme interjected, sending me a warning look. 

"I can tell."