𝕆𝕦𝕥

Hellooooo Lovely Readers 

I decided to write a story on cricket! This is completely real life (maybe not for a little bit), but I will leave you to decide. This is purely fiction.

So, it may make no sense, but the story is about overcoming the barriers that others have set for you. Now, no more words, read on and enjoy!

Luv, Val

My alarm rung.

I rolled around in my covers, wincing as my disabled leg twisted by accident. My frizzy brown hair was a tangled mess on my soft white pillow, and my blue eyes were tightly closed with eternal exhaustion. I groaned out loud.

I could just hear my dad downstairs shouting to every run, every bowl on the tv. I lunged for my phone on the bedside table. It wobbled dangerously as I grabbed it and sprung up from my pillow. It was the cricket world finals. I had to check the score.

"YES! It's a six!" I could hear my dad yell from a mile away. Someone would come knocking on our polished door at this point, I was sure.

I opened up my screen as I clutched my phone tightly. Was the score what I thought it was? It better be.

To the website I went, and my eyes bulged at the close score that was going up every minute. I could hear the neighbours snoring next door, and I barely restrained my screech of excitement. My phone seemed to be glittering, and the blue case had almost split in half due to the force I exerted on it with my tense hands.

"Hey Penelope! Come watch the game!" My father yelled. I could envision him jumping up and down next to the old brown couch. I would do that do, except my leg was.....disabled. I shuddered at the memory and decided to think nothing of it. It was in the past, the pain was in the past too. Nothing to worry and hyperventilate about.

"Coming dad!" I replied as I attempted to swing my leg over my bed. I ended up on the white carpet, clutching my leg close to tears.

"Owwwww" I complained. Seems that the pain wasn't in the past. I could feel my brain shift to the day when it was destined that I would never use my leg again. I shook myself, unwilling to stroll into the black monster of memory lane.

"Penny?" I heard my dad's work boots on the stairs before the visions began.

💙💙💙💙💙

This was the deciding ball of the girl's cricket national finals.

I was standing on the fake grass pitch. My shoes were scratched and my legs were bruised and sore. My snow white pads slipped  around my lower leg dangerously and I lowered my wooden bat into ready position to face the bowler. Sweat was dripping down my face and my hair was stuck to my forehead. My body tensed.

The bowler took a 6 metre run up and charged at me. My eye was on the ball, which was bunched tightly in the girl's hands. She did the windmill action and released.

Spinning, spinning, the red, rock hard ball flew towards me without bouncing. The ball was in a very awkward position, my left side. I distinctly remembered swinging my bat to meet the projectile before I felt a stinging pain in my leg as I twisted it to get to the ball. I heard the crack of the ball hitting my bat before I fell in a pile of agonised bones.

I could hear the ball soar over the boundary, as all my teammates were yelling the word six. I tried to stand up but couldn't. Out of the corner of my vision I saw one of the players of our opponent team stride towards me with the ball. I could do nothing as she threw it right at my legs, now free of my batting pads.