3

Whispers echoed throughout the Great Hall. So many thoughts were racing through Y/N's head and the stares pierced their skin like knives.

"Go sit with your friend, Miss Adzumi, for now please." Professor McGonnagall took the hat off Y/N's head.

They reluctantly got off the wooden stool and walked to the Slytherin table. Everyone's eyes were still on them. This time it wasn't with curiosity.

"Unsortable student?" Rigel looked at her friend who shared the same perplexed expression. "What the hell does that even mean?"

"How am I supposed to know?"

Y/N scanned across the Great Hall and everyone was looking at them. From the first years waiting to be sorted, to the seventh years. They felt their cheeks flush red and hid behind their hands. Everyone's eyes piercing their skin with not just wonder and confusion, but worry and doubt.

In the centuries that Hogwarts stood, no student was ever not sorted. There was, however, one instance where a squib had managed to sneak into Hogwarts and get sorted into a house until it was revealed he possessed no magical ability. He was then sent home.

Even if the hat found it difficult to place a person, Hufflepuff accepted everyone regardless. Of course, if one possessed the traits of Hufflepuff that would be fair enough but the house of Hufflepuff welcomed everyone. So why did the sorting hat just flat out refuse to sort Y/N?

Y/N peeked through their fingers and saw Lance, Daniel and Romeo looking at them with concern. All five of them had no idea what was happening.

Lance had assumed that he and Rigel would be in the same house as the pair were similar in some ways. Both were smart, calculating but it did occur that if a problem arose, Rigel would kill someone to protect her friends and family, while Lance would try to find a way to make sure nobody died. Romeo would die for them and Daniel would die with them.

As for Y/N... he seemed to struggle with coming up with an answer. All answers; killing for, dying for, dying with, finding a resolution... all were possible for Y/N.

Lance peered over his shoulder at the Hufflepuff table where he and Daniel made eye contact. Lance turned around properly to face his friend, ignoring the sorting ceremony which seemed to hold no value to anyone anymore.

"The hat. Something must be wrong with the hat." Lance said.

Daniel faced Lance and pursed his lips. "I heard the hat's never wrong." He glanced at Y/N and Rigel who was comforting them to the best of her ability. "We were freaks in Beauxbatons, are we going to be freaks at Hogwarts too?"

"We weren't freaks, Daniel. Look, Romeo said his older brother attends Hogwarts, yes? And you're older brother also goes here if I remember correctly."

"You do."

"We'll find them and talk to them then. We're going to figure this out. There has to be some logical explanation-"

Lance was cut off. The sorting ceremony had finished.

"First years; welcome to Hogwarts," Headmaster Albus Dumbledore stood from his golden chair and smiled. "To the five; welcome to you also."

Romeo saw his older brother, Thomas, at the Slytherin table. He was sat on the opposite side of the table a few people away from Rigel and Y/N. Unlike everyone else, Thomas showed no interest in the two new fifth years. His bluebell eyes were glued to a novel that Romeo knew his mother had gifted him before they left on the Hogwarts Express.

Thomas looked up from the opposite side of the hall and his eyes met that of Alexander Yoon; Daniel's older brother. Thomas and Alexander had grown up together which also meant that Romeo and Daniel did. Their families did the same thing: send one sibling to Hogwarts and the other to Beauxbatons. That way one won't be in the shadow of the other.

Alexander was in Ravenclaw. He had beautiful black hair and a scar on his right cheek from when him and Daniel were play-fighting in the back garden. Alexander's younger sister and Daniel's twin, Tiffany Yoon was currently enrolled at Beauxbatons. Unlike her brother, she actually behaved.

Before the feast began, Dumbledore gave his yearly word of caution to the first years. He then turned to each of the five. "Mister Abaddon, Miss Adzumi, Mister Brutus, Y/N L/N and Mister Yoon, please visit my office once the feast has reached its conclusion. Let the feast begin."

Beautiful mountains of food appeared on the table. Anything you could think of, it was there. Beautiful steaks, juicy chicken, Snow White rice. It was all there and each time a person finished their goblet, it would automatically fill back up again.

Despite the bountiful amount of food before them, none of the five could bring themselves to eat more than half a dish. They had too many thoughts circling their minds. The room was loud and crowded. People were shouting and laughing.

Y/N covered their ears. Their head couldn't take the noise. Normally they would be perfectly fine with the level of noise as quite a few of their pranks were even louder than this, but the level of stress was getting higher and higher. Everything went black.

Authors note:
I forgot to add this earlier but here are Romeo and Daniel's siblings:

Thomas Abaddon

Alexander Yoon

Alexander Yoon

Tiffany Yoon