~To Heed To A Warning~

With one great window to welcome the natural light. The shop is dark, free for shadows to roam. There are rows of tables, all brimming with silver articles, objects entirely crafted from talents of silver. These include flatware: knife handles, hollowware, bowls, and teacups. As well as cookware: pots, serving trays, tankards and cups, and many other accessories, including jewellery. Although all are spotless and pristine, they have lost their lustre.

"Aurora."

Gerlud's father, Linel, emerges in the archway and shuffles closer, his hands groping the wall, allowing it to guide him to me. He bears the heft of many cycles on his slouched shoulders. His rippling skin mottled with brown blemishes but there is a youth in his eyes; a young spirit still burning bright.

"Blest day, I am visited by my Hera," he says. He has the voice of an old man, orotund yet gravelly, eroded by time. "What brings you to my abode? Care to share a cup of tea with me again?"

"I'm afraid not, not this time. I must prepare for my departure."

"Uh." He raises his head that trembles ever so slightly. "The King Trials. You are to leave for the Pantheon before the second equinox."

I nod thoughtlessly. Quick to scold myself with a rigorous headshake. "Yes, correct."

I clear my throat. "I heard of your son and—"

"Aurora, don't," he cuts off. And it stuns me into silence. "I will not be pitied, not by fellow folk nor by you. I am still an able man with life in my body to walk and work. It will be well with me."

I exhale heavily. Oh, the pride of men. If I cannot give it to him, I will just have to sell it.

I look around me, searching for the closest object. I step to the side and pick up a random silver teacup from a set. "The silver teapot with floral etchings. How much is it?"

His lips part to answer, but I interject.

"In fact..." I flow forwards, scanning every item arrayed on display. "I think my Regnum needs to update its silverware. I think I will buy... everything. All your merchandise."

"Hera, Aurora... but... you can't...." He dawdles off, strangled by shock.

"Oh, but I can. Or will you deny my right as a paying patron? You have the best silver articles in the province, and I wish to have only the best."

Linel's head gradually tilts towards the ground and he makes an unrecognisable sound. The sound of a man trying to smother his cry. Which only tempts mine to join his. I walk a few steps forward to a table shoved in a corner. The only one with accounting books or ledgers filed on top. From my satchel, I empty it, taking out each sack. Linel's hollow gaze follows the jingly sound it makes as I transport them, depositing each onto his table.

"I will send for my guards to deliver a treasure of what you are owed. And they will collect all your lovely works."

I meander and stop in front of him, a few inches taller than me. I place my hand on the side of his neck. With both hands, he takes it, holding my hand, then he places a grateful kiss on the back.

"Thank you, Aurora. I am in your debt."

I take my hand back. "No need to thank me. I was doing it entirely out of selfish reasons. I want your son to travel back when he is recovered. And you, my old friend, you deserve to rest and rest well."

I swivel around, strolling to the exit.

"Aurora."

I pause, turning back around to face him.

"In my former days, a time of fleeting prosperity, my articles were desired by many. Especially Domuses. I know of them and I know that they are inbred with the same kind of... determination. A zeal to serve their own. Their sons may be different, but a son will always crave the love and approval of his father, for he learns at his knee."

I nod attentively, heeding to his counsel.

"Domuses are the type of beings that want what they want, and they do not care for whatever or whoever is in their way to get it. The King Trials may be a blessing or a curse. Time will reveal which is which. Be wary, young Hera. They will not fight to win; they will fight to dominate."

I find my gaze locked on a random spot ahead; I blink several times. "Yes, I see. Thank you for your counsel."

"Farewell, Aurora."

I resume my journey, but once again. I stop.

 I rotate back around. "When I entered, I never announced myself. How did you know it was me?"

Linel smiles softly and his unseeing eyes looks in my general direction. "Because your light is so true, even through my eternal darkness. I can see it."

***

Once again, I find myself nestled in my corner, on the ledge, overlooking the valley. In the serenade of the black, the stars are a ballad; they are lights that sing in infinite patterns. The sky is a black tranquillity married to a poetry of stars. Here is where I find my peace, at night, in the dark, when the world is still. When it is only my thoughts to keep me company.

Since the decree was issued. I noticed that I have been secluding myself a lot more.

And Wren has kept himself from me. I searched for him in town; he was the only one I did not see. I know it is as difficult for him as it is for me. We have known each other since I was old enough to travel to town on horseback, on my own with Seliah. But now our time is done.

Off to the King Trials with me. Where an expedition of uncertainty awaits.

But I cannot seem to ward off this sickening feeling, one that clings to my chest and pains my heart. The Regnum, the Prime, Armathis. It is my home because this is where my people, where my family resides.

I have a feeling that once I leave. I will never see them again.