~The Last Farewell~

I take a moment to soak in his features. His dark tousled hair with sickle-shaped eyebrows and a shapely face. His patrician nose rests on arched cheekbones. And his eyes usually mirthful eyes are clouded by the sorrow he bears.

"Aurora I—"

"You what?" I snap. "You're sorry? Clearly cycles worth of friendship means nothing to you or else you would have seen me. We could have had an entire day reserved together and—"

"—be forced to pretend I feel nothing for you but friendship!" he barks. I shrink from him involuntarily. He has never raised his voice at me. "Forced to endure the pain that the one I love, loves me not." For a moment. The natural glimmer in his eyes wanes. His pain etches itself on his face, unable to hide it any longer. Hide it from me.

Awkward, in alien territory. I look away nervously, evading his gaze.

"I know nothing could ever happen between us. You're a beloved Hera, and I commoner, a wretched half-blood."

"Stop," I say without thought. The word barely audible. Louder, I say, "I never meant to give you hope where there is none. Wren, I do love you, as one loves her brother."

He winces as if struck and looks to the ground.

"I do not care about titles or nobility. I care for one's heart, and yours is good, that is why I care for you so. Which is why it wounded me, that during my last days in the Prime. I did not spend not even one of them with you."

His gaze lifts and looks at me with doe eyes. My sincere words like a balm over his injured heart. He must have seen the truth in my eyes, because he has been studying them for the last few moments.

Finally, he says, "I Know. I wanted a moment alone to, I suppose, confess what you already know."

I stumble over the semi-subtle remark. "You could have sent word to my page, or better yet, stopped avoiding me when I was in town."

He arcs a brow at me. "I?" His voice rises with budding anger. "It was you who wasn't seen in town, it was you who did not come for me."

"And neither did you," I throw back.

We both release a built-up sigh. I glance behind me at Captain Devwar, who seems to be entertained by the melodrama of our disgruntled admissions.

I look back at him. "Wren." My brows furrow. "I do not wish to fight; I do not want to remember our last moments like this."

He forces a nod, clenching his jaw. He draws in a deep inhale, exhaling, allowing his breath to carry out his resentment. "You are right," he concedes. "If I cannot be with you as more than a friend. Then I will gladly serve you as you are, and whom you are meant to be. My heart beats for the future High Queen."

I move to coil my arms around his neck, and he wraps his arms around my waist. My tears sting behind my eyes, and I close them for just a few heartbeats. Wren's grip tightens with each second as if his will refuses to let me go. And he doesn't.

Until....

"Ah-hem." Captain Devwar loudly clears his throat, and the sound is like a knife that splits us apart.

"Go," Wren says. He sniffs. "Go, sail to the Pantheon and show them the face of their new Queen."

I offer him half a smile and shake my head. "For that, I must pass the tests of the High King. And no one thinks to consider that I do not wish to rule. I believe someone who has the desire to rule and deserves to rule, should reign."

Wren lets out a hollow laugh. "Aurora, when someone desires the throne, they seldom deserve to sit on it. Worthy is the one that serves his people instead."

His words marinate in my mind, and I look into his eyes. "Take care, Wren." I rotate around, heading to the wooden plank. I smile, and without looking back, I wave a hand to the sky.

 Devwar joins my side and together we both scale up the ramp. Once we reach the top, two crew boys are ready to haul the plank up and refasten the railing.

The ship is a triple decker. The top part being the primary hub that is connected to the Devwar's quarters. Adjoined to that, separate but still in the same corridor are two other deluxe cabins. The second level is where all the crew members sleep, dance and drink. The last is where all the cargo is stored; supplies, sustenance, and ammunition in case one ever gets into trouble.

We saunter around the flank of the top structure. Devwar says, "Shall I show you to your quarters?"

I shake my head. "No, I know the way."

We round the corner and I halt. My gaze launched into the distance. The sky evolving right before me, ablaze with the fire of the setting sun. The horizon bleeds a blood orange that stains the infinite boundary that parts sky and sea.

"Though I pride myself with a proficient crew." He pauses. "Regardless, they are men.  As you have seen in the past. They can become a tad bit rowdy after several or more bottles of drinks. And now, you do not have the Domina and Domus's presence to keep them proper."

I run my tongue over my bottom lip, smiling wryly. "What is it that you are trying to convey?"

He fumbles for the right words and sighs. "I think it best if you spent most of your time, especially at nightfall, in your cabin. No one will bother you there, I swear on their lives."

I swallow a laugh, glancing sideways at nothing. "Believe me, Captain. I can take care of myself; you needn't worry of my safety."

He snorts in disagreement. "Your safety is of concern. I care for your wellbeing. Your father will have me and my men slaughtered like lambs if anything happened to you."

I thwart a retort. There is no point in arguing. For the sake of peace, I say, "As you wish."

He smiles with relief and bows to me. He then strides ahead to stand in the wooden gallery. The balcony that overlooks the entire main deck with a swarm of blue and white crew members, busying themselves below.

"Rekos la nua to, ken awas!" Devwar yells, roaring orders. His voice like bottled thunder, a measure of his vitality. "Kumpas erewen la, tumepe vas to na!"

The crew heed to the commands of their Captain. They disperse like smoke in the wind.

I, however, take my leave to my quarters.