~Wren~

I must have nodded off because now I smell the briny scent of the ocean's breath; salty and refreshing.

"We're nearly there," Seliah says gloomily, her gaze on her lap, twiddling her fingers, distracting herself from crying.

"Oh, come now, where's that infectious smile?"

Seliah denies me and frowns purposefully. "I know that I was advocating for the Trials, at least the benefits of its reward. I guess I did not fully comprehend your departure until now... being in the carriage, the send-off from the townsfolk. It is definitely more real. More than I like."

I nod. "The first time in our lives where we will be apart." I shrug. "Finally."

Seliah's frown melts off her face, and she lunges forward to smack my leg, but I jerk it aside.

I laugh as I dodge several more of her attempts. "Simmer down, sister." I shake my head and adopt a serious tone. "It's tough, but we were trained to be tougher," I say, recycling father's words. "Am I terrified, angry, and upset? Certainly, but it will change nothing. It must be done, and I will have it done. No matter the outcome, we will have time for each other in our... new normal."

Seliah snorts at the term. "Who knows what that will look like...."

Soon the view outside changes. The carriage travels down the pier with anchored boats. Most of them are cargo ships, mammoth size with three masts. Square rails hang beneath the forward of the bow, and topsails hang above the courses on the mainmast and foremast.

The pounding thuds of the horses' hooves slow to a trot before the entire carriage stills. And so does my heart. My chest inflates and with it, trepidation jumpstarts my heart, making it beat at a frantic rhythm.

"It's time," Seliah says.

In unison, we lean forward, engulfing each other in a desperate embrace.

"Take care, sister," she whispers in my ear.

We draw apart.

Her eyes dart to the dagger. "What will you do with it? I'm sure weapons are not welcomed."

I smirk and bend forward to pick up my dress, exposing the surprise. A lace white garner holster strapped to either thigh. I slip the sheathed dagger inside and allow my dress to unfurl back into place.

Seliah gives me a mischievous look. "Sneaky."

"One must always be prepared."

My side of the carriage door opens wide, portable steps already await me. I move to exit, and the coachman offers his hand. I take it as I carefully take my two steps down. Once I'm off, he heaves it up and puts it back in its holder.

I take a step back to take in the sight of the Storm Voyager. Captain Devwar's airship is larger than the average. Since lighter weight makes for greater speeds to obtain enough generated momentum to have the ship propelled into the sky. The Storm Voyager has a carrack-style architecture. The ship is deep and broad with a high sterncastle and a higher forecastle thrusting out over the bow. The make of the ship is expensive too, forged from dark alabushian wood.

The masts of an airship is different, despite that it can travel both sea and air. Some have hot-air balloons. But the Storm Voyager is steam-fuelled with a dirigible sail and a steam engine used to power the propellers. A huge cylindrical swollen gasbag looms above the head of the ship, from rear to peak. From the wide gap between the railing, the crew members let down the wooden ramp. It lengthens out until its foot meets the creaking ligneous pier. A silhouette of a masculine frame crests the brink. He calls for someone over his shoulder. Then he begins his way down and three other crew members follow him.

Captain Devwar. A navy-blue forage cap bedecks his head, his insignia imprinted in gold in the centre along with the hemming. His navy-blue Captain's coat rises behind him, his trousers white like his top garment.

"Hera Aurora," he says and flashes a yellowy smile. His beard all-white with a few rebellious black blotches. "What an honour it is to have you aboard my ship again."

"If I am forced to leave. I feel a slither of comfort that it will be with you."

Two of his crew boys pass my periphery and disappear behind me. I presume they are going to offload my luggage and have it brought to the airship.

"Only Aurora would dread the chance to be the next Ruler of the realm," he says and shakes his head like he's disappointed in me.

My father doesn't own Captain Devwar, but every time we sailed, he leased out his services. Despite his flaws, he and his crew are the best. And he has captained his ship through even the most punishing tempests. That is how his ship earned its name.

"The entire realm, that is... that would mean millions of people under my care."

"That is why I hope you win," he says strongly. "Better a kind-hearted Hera than an arrogant son of a Domus."

I smile meekly, turning to watch the crew members lug my baggage up the ramp and disappear aboard with it. I glance over my shoulder to see the coachman ready in his place. He whips the reins and the stallion's charge onwards. I step aside and Seliah's torso protrudes out of the window hole, almost hanging.

"Rorie!" she outstretches her arm and I extend my own. Our hands clasp for a split second. "Long live the High Queen!" 

I stare after the carriage with a whimsical smile, watching it recede.

I spin back around. "How long is the journey from here to the Pantheon?"

"Since we are travelling by air, we're only flying over Erindor. It will take two days if the weather is on our side."

"Very well." I nod, glancing back at the airship. "Shall we?"

He's about to nod, but something behind me catches his attention. He smiles mysteriously and looks back at me. "I think someone wants to bid you farewell before you leave." He turns and walks to stand beside the ramp with his arms folded behind his back.

I rotate around and view a cloaked, slender man approaching me. His dark brown cloak, rugged, and his hood shields his identity from me. But deep within. I already know his face.

He draws back his hood and looks down at me with remorse-filled eyes.

"Wren."