~Twilight Melds With Night~

The wind whispers, calling me to wake. Embraced in warmth, my body is swathed in a cocoon of blankets. I roll on my back, peeling my eyes open. Sleep like fog that dissipates from my vision. And it reveals the sky, a delicate lavender with a mix of dark blue strewn with glimmers of pulsing morning stars.

Wait. The stars? Where is the ceiling?

My frown ease as the memories flood back.

I whip my head to the side to see a slumbering Vince. A blanket drawn up to his nose, muffling his mild snores.

"Vince."

Nothing.

I start to scramble out of the cocoon, clambering up to stand on my feet. I trample on the coverlet, moving to stand right at his side, staring down at him.

Louder. "Vince." My foot prods at his side and he automatically stirs awake. Making his aversion known with a drawn-out groan.

"Oh, forgive me, dear. Did I wake you?"

With one eye still closed, he glances up at me with a bleary look. He shoves the blanket down and slips out his arm to reach for the hem of my dress, tugging it repeatedly.

"Shhh," he hushes dazedly. "Come back to bed, my love."

Giggling, I bend down to snatch my dress from his lazy grip. "I am serious. We nodded off and shouldn't have. We must return before our joint absence becomes apparent. And that is unnecessary attention."

He exhales heavily and turns his head straight. Both eyes closed.

"Just a few moments more."

"No." My foot meets with his side again. "You know the Terra rise early, and I need to make it to my bedchambers before then."

"You mean to erase the evidence of our tryst."

I shoot him a look which his sealed eyelids protect him from. I turn to view beyond. The soaring rock walls varnished into the lake's glassy surface. The dip-dye of colours from the sky above overhangs the becalmed lake. A splash of lavender and the dash of midnight blue blends into the waters.

"You make it sound so scandalous."

"Far from it." A tincture of disappointment in his tone. "This time."

***

Back at the Citadel.

Vince and I part ways once we reach our annex. He ducks into his bedchamber at the head of the corridor. I continue onwards, thankfully well-rested. An influx of energy livens my walk. With each stride closer to my bedchamber, I am invigorated by an unidentified verve. Unable to pinpoint the origin.

I waft into the room—I nearly trip on air.

A towering, brawny figure turns around and twilight melds with night.

"Primus Kelan," I breathe.