~Unforgotten~

"You have returned," I say, and I take a few tiny steps toward him. Bracing myself for the emotional upheaval that is about to be unbridled. Senses going haywire.

"I will always return for what is mine." He makes a verbal retreat. "What I am duty-bound to protect," he says factually.

I soak in his appearance, each prominent feature weaving into my mind. His hair is freshly cut, the centre is slicked back; the sides trimmed short with a low fade. His haircut only flaunts his mountain peak cheekbones.

"You said three days," I say, my eyes blinking too fast. "I feel as though three eternities have passed."

A smirk splinters his face. "Missed me that dearly?"

"Missed the extra protection." The words fell before I could catch them.

"Why?" His face grows grim. "Did something happen?"

"No," I blurt. To divert, I say, "I trust that your endeavour was successful?"

Visibly reluctant, he bites. "Lengthened because of an outbreak of a new strain of the plague. The Black Death."

I nod attentively. "I have been informed."

"It is a serious threat to the realm's already tenuous stability, and it spreads by day. The ancient plague stole the lives of meta and medeis alike. The Black Death poisons Urium's farmlands, our food. In time, it will poison people against people when a famine breaks out."

I scoff bitterly. "That was already being done."

"Now it will only fan the flames of discord. Scared people are dangerous, but hungry people are unpredictable. But I did not come here to speak on that."

Desperate to keep the topic off me. I ask, "How did the summoning go?"

From the two archways adjacent from him, it welcomes in the flood of first light. Pensive, he steps into it idly. His black eyes glossy. Strands of darkness absorbing the golden light. Armour-less, his burgundy uniform appears bright as spilled blood.

"Well enough. My appeal for more soldiers has been granted. Troops have been dispatched ahead of us."

"And the Vulkra?" Curiosity spikes my volume. "The Ulris?"

"A formal inquest has been opened to delve into the matter, to try to uncover their plot. The rise of their attacks. They tasked me to spearhead it, which would have delayed me further. But suddenly..." he strolls towards me as he speaks, "Out of nowhere...an irrepressible urge to return to Cistern overcame me."

He starts to circle me thoughtfully. His steps purposed and gradual, as if I'm a prisoner of war under interrogation.

His sheer presence electrifies me, tingling my skin. "The last time you spoke of the Citadel you threatened to raise war against it," I say with a cumbersome laugh. Unease squirming within.

"I do not care for the Citadel but for a time. What it holds is...inexplicably invaluable to me."

Only managing minimal eye contact. I battle to endure those stygian eyes. A crepuscule of gloom.

"Where were you?"

A hot flash of panic. "Out, I needed air," I say curtly. Really, Aurora.

"In a fancy gown?" An equinox brow lifts with his mounting suspicions. "I heard there was a banquet held in honour of the one who won the tournament. Last night."

Lashed by panic's whip, suddenly guilt-ridden, my mind punishes me with a recall of my tryst with Vince in a guilt-tripping procession.

I cannot understand why. But somehow I feel like I have betrayed him. Which is absurd because he is not even mine to betray. The outing was purely platonic, innocent even. Well. Besides the fact that he professed his admiration for me, which was probably some kind of enticement. A failed ploy.