~The City of Old~

The Pantheon. At last.

The main harbour is an expansive wooden erection with two tiers. The bottom is for regular ships, fleets of merchant boats, and cargo vessels. The top tier is for airships and the Storm Voyager is parked in the air docks, hoisted up by a row of appendages on each side.

I stand idle, watching crewmen offload my luggage, strings of them carrying it out, down the stairs, and off the ship. My jacket is fastened up to my neck. Burg's necklace sits enthroned. My hand lifts and my fingers curl around the pendant. I have never been to the High King's Dominion, but I have heard tales of its architectural splendour and economic superiority.

So I am told.

"Hera Aurora," Devwar beckons. "The imperial carriage awaits you."

I nod and haul myself forward, descending the wooden steps; it curves then rounds at the end. 

"Aurora!"

I swivel around. A gaunt force collides into me and Mackie's bony arms are tight around my waist. I hold onto him strongly, my cheek pressed down on the little blue hat.

"Don't go," he begs. "Who else gon sing terribly to me when lightning screams again?"

A laugh bursts from me, and my grip tightens. "Well, my terrible singing lulled you to sleep. I say I met my objective."

I release him, his arms untangling. I lower myself. Face to face with him. His eyes elude mine with diligence as I playfully sway my head from side to side in search of his gaze.

"Look at me," I instruct.

He complies, and his glossy eyes look into mine.

"You were fine before me and you will be fine after. When I was your age, I used to fear the night because that's when I knew my nightmares would come. And let me share my counsel, my secret that helps me overcome my fears." I place a hand on his small shoulder. "The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. Because there is no courage without fear. As you are here with your brother to help your family. That is the bravest thing I have ever seen."

I squeeze his shoulder. My finger gives a quick brush against his cheek before I straighten my spine. Mackie's lips explode into a grin, and he steps forward to latch onto my waist again. He holds on for a few moments longer.

"C'mon Mack, let Hera Aurora go," Schwick scolds on approach. "Captain will cut off ye hands if he saw you touchin her."

"No need to threaten the child," I say, rubbing circles on his back.

Mackie finally releases me and steps aside, adjusting his hat.

I look up at Schwick, beaming a smile. "Farewell for now. It was a blessing to know you and your brother. I hope your fortune changes soon."

Schwick smiles shyly and teases the collar of his jacket. "No, Hera. We the lucky ones. I wish you well in the Trials. I know it won't help much with me sayin it. But I hope you win," he says and turns his face to the ground.

"Thank you, Schwick, and farewell to you both." I glance at both of them, twirling back around.  I make my way down. 

I see Devwar at the bottom, his back towards me, coat billowing. I join his side. "Captain, in my cabin I left a sack worth six thousand shekels. Enough to fund Schwick's mother's treatment and allow her to have the best physician to oversee her recovery."

I can feel his eyes on me, but my eyes are transfixed on the imperial carriage a few meters from where I stand. Horse drawn with four Arabian stallions to lead the ride. It has a semi-rectangular shape with a long aspect. The frame and doors are all waist high with broad window holes and no draperies to offer privacy. The exterior coat is a plush crimson velvet covering with golden designs that fleck the body, eddying upwards. Even the rooftop is more like an awning, with the same blood-red furry material and identical pure gold motifs.

The coachman stands at the door with portable steps ready at the base. He's dressed in a maroon attire with a matching cowl over his shoulders. And a floppy, gaudy hat that shields his eyes.

The top tier is a barrel-styled construction with two ports of entry that airships can sweep into. Shadowed by the large vessels in the air docks and by the covering of the structure itself. There is only one way off the top pier and into the City of Old. The first metropolis built in Urium, ironically the oldest, but it is the most advance.

"Do we have an understanding, Captain?"

Devwar turns to me and bows his head. "Of course, Hera. I will hand-deliver it to the boy, myself."

"Be sure that you do, because once the Trials are over. I will pay his family a visit." I look over at him and nod a farewell. "I am very grateful to have been aboard your ship, always safe, always enjoyable."

He lifts his head. "It was my honour."

I thank him with a last smile and stride over to the carriage. I cast a glance back at the Storm Voyager. Schwick and little Mackie stand behind the wooden railing, waving their arms at me wildly. I giggle to myself,  throwing a hand up in return with matched verve.

The coachman opens the door for me and bows. I step inside to seat myself on the crimson cushions. Provided with a full view of everything beyond and everyone has a full view of me. I wipe my clammy hands down the sheeny fabric of my sapphire dress. It's so strange to be so far from home, and on my own, with not even Seliah to be my respite.

For the first time. I have to face something alone.

The carriage lurches and a clatter of hooves resound. We skim past Captain Devwar and the carriage travels forward for some time. I capture a few glimpses of other airships, discharging loads of cargo. The carriage meanders to the right and rolls up a line of ascent to the black maw of a tall tunnel with dual lanes.

Soon we are consumed in darkness.

The only thing I can hear is the steady, collective clops of hooves and the hollow ground that deepens the echo, creating the illusion that they are more horses than there are. Meters ahead, a brilliant light extends its phantasmal hand, offering an escape. The light pulses, growing until it devours us whole. The carriage peels out from the gloom and onto a paved road and what I see renders me awe-stricken.

The road isn't paved out of ordinary stone, but it looks like Kashmir white granite that glistens under sunlight. The exterior of the buildings is sheathed in shining metal with sparkling arcs of glass. Aluminium spires, almost translucent that reach the sky. Arched structures dome over the city like hoops, like rounded arms that seem to embrace the frame of the city, protecting it.

My gaze levels to the hustle and bustle that revels all around, other carriages and horses. Most of the city-goers are clothed in white, gold, and beige attires that contribute to the impeccable scene of the city. Which makes my advent even more obvious. A moving red dot winding through the masses of white. Due to all the carts and carriages beyond that clog up the road, only lengthening my apprehension.

 I was fortunate that my father organised my departure earlier in the event of an unforeseen circumstance, like a storm. It wasted two days, despite that, I am still on time. Today must be the second equinox, so it's either that the other candidates are there already or like me are also on their way. Armathis is far east, but the Emikrol Empire sidles my province as it sits on the edge of the map. So perhaps Vince Esputo Ethane and I will be unfortunate companions in our belatedness.

Eventually, we depart from the city and head further up north. The carriage starts at the base of a mountainous hill and trails all along its waist, winding upwards until. I see the grandest edifice I have ever seen rising from the horizon.

I'm here.