~Red Roses~

Today is the day.

Before the break of dawn. The world outside is quiet.

Unlike the inside of the Regnum.

All my luggage, dresses and gowns, shoes, and perfumes are all packed and ready to be uploaded. Inside my chambers, Pinta directs the inflow and outflow of handmaidens, hauling out my belongings and delivering them to the guards out front to secure them on my carriage.

I stand by, bathed and fully outfitted in my outwear, flaunting the colours of my Regnum. Although my ankle-length dress is simple in design, it is shrouded by elegance. A high collar epaulette jacket, dark blue with gilded tussles that broaden my shoulders with swirling golden designs around the neck. And a secret surprise under my dress, strapped to my bare thighs.

I am so nervous that it feels like my wild heart beats out of its cage. And everyone can hear it. Once they all depart from my chambers. I linger for just a few more moments. From top to bottom I am filled with reminiscence, every memory I have since I can remember frolics in my mind. I lengthen my spine in fraudulent confidence and make my way out.

Outside, Burg waits for me, dressed in his formal serving attire. With something in his hand. "Aurora, you look magnificent." His other hand lodged behind his back, his torso dips into a bow.

"Thank you. Hopefully how I look on the outside will hide what I feel on the inside."

He smiles at me cheekily and shakes his head. "You will win them all over as you have won us." He lifts his hand and uncurls his fingers to expose what lays inside. "I know a goldsmith, a contact of Linel's, actually, who specialises in jewellery making. I requested to have this necklace made for me, and when I told him it was for you. He made it free of charge."

He picks up the necklace and dangles it before me. The pendant is a gold eagle, wings outstretched, and its claws grip the tip of a gilded wave like it's dragging it. My Regnum's crest.

I lift my hand so my fingertips can brush against the cold coat. "Wow, it's absolutely stunning."

"It was being made for your birthday, but I felt that now is the best time to gift it to you."

Without a word, I spin around, my back facing him.

Promptly, his hands flank my vision with the necklace elongated. He wraps the chain around my neck and hooks the clasp; the pendant sits on the throne of my chest. I twirl around and my arms latch around his waist. He chuckles and I can feel the rumble vibrate his chest.

He holds onto both my shoulders and gently draws me away. He keeps me at arm's length, his gaze glued to mine. "Only when the eagle believes it was born to fly, does it take flight. And when it is your time, you will soar. But that does not mean even at the peak that troubles cannot reach you. When you are at the top, you must fight to stay there."

His grasp on my shoulders tightens with a passionate grip. "An eagle does not escape the storm; it uses it to fly higher. Which is what you must do, do not fear its wrath, but rise above it."

I inhale a ready breath, nodding quickly.

He turns to face the corridor and holds out his arm to me. "I am sure everyone's already waiting. May I escort you down?"

I face forward, gracefully placing my hand on his forearm. "I would be honoured."

In a unified stride, we journey through the labyrinth. One last time.

As we walk, a procession of memories plays before me. Burg chasing Seliah and me when we were no taller than his hip. Times where we conspired how we could escape our lessons and strike a bargain with father to have us train instead. Running away from mother, pursued by her endless nagging and wishes to have us read Virgil or learn an instrument. Anything ladylike.