2.

***

***

The train had started moving now, and we were well on our way to Hogwarts. Oh god, I'm going to Hogwarts!

The marauders were telling me about one of their pranks in a detailed manner, not that I was bored, and Remus was piping in here and then, too busy reading his book. Lily had fallen asleep, and surprisingly, her head fell on Potter's shoulder. The messy-haired boy stopped speaking mid-sentence and wide-eyed, slowly looked towards Lily and then me. I gave him a small smile and he cautiously snaked an arm around her waist, holding tight. He looked at Lily for a few seconds, pure love in his eyes, and then started talking as if there was nothing out of the ordinary.

The other passengers except me were in shocked silence, but then Sirius gave a wolfish grin, Peter said 'that's progress mate', Remus gave him a knowing smile, and we went back to discussing pranks.

Our rhythm was disturbed when a greasy snake, I mean Snape, entered our compartment. The defensive stance in Potter's frame woke Lily up, who blushed profusely, and which didn't go unnoticed by he-who-must-not-be-named-coz-he's-a-git.

"You were not invited, Snivellous," James said, his voice too calm for a situation like this, but Snape didn't respond. He only looked at Lily and said, "Can I talk to you?" The cabin was silent, except for the deep breaths Sirius was taking to remain calm, his hand twitching towards his wand. A glance from me stopped his hands from moving.

Before she could say anything, because let's face it, Lily was too forgiving to say no, I spoke up, "No, you may not. This is the last time we say it, get out."

His eyes widened a bit, confusion behind them. No one really knew I was coming back, most of all him. "When did you come-"

"I don't think I've given you permission to talk to me, have I, Severus?"

"Iris-" Lily started, but I got up and walked towards the git, close enough to have him stand outside the compartment, "Iris, stop it, please."

"Yeah Iris, I'm her friend," he said, crossing his arms and spitting out the word 'friend' as if he did nothing wrong. Selfish bastard probably thought he didn't.

"You lost your chance to call her a friend the moment you uttered that word," surprisingly, it wasn't me who said that, but Potter.

"So that's it Lily? You're just throwing away a 6-year friendship for one mistake?" Snape said, refusing to acknowledge his arch-nemesis.

"I'm sorry, Sev," my flower's voice cracking, "but you chose your side and I mine."

His eyes glistened a little, a slight tremble on his bottom lip. "Fine," he said and left with a swish of his robes.

A little sniffle jolted all of our senses towards the person we should be consoling. A stray tear left Lily's magnificent green eyes, which she hurriedly removed all traces of, and said in a rushed manner as if we wouldn't notice her choked up words, "I'm sorry,"