6.

***

***

"What did Professor McGonagal want?" Mary asked me, her concerned face mirroring Lily's and Alice's. Marlene was too busy stuffing food in her face. Not that I can say anything about that, I started doing it too.

"Yeah, are you in trouble?" Remus asked, but I just waved my hand.

"She wanted to ask me about the subjects I'm taking this year, and to talk about my career." Lily brightened up.

"Oh! Did you tell her about your writ-" I put a hand on her mouth and quickly told the curious friends, "I told her I want to be a transfiguration professor."

Lily seemed confused at this, rightly so. "But didn't you want to-" "Complete your sentence and I'll tell Potter you fancy him," I whispered in her ear and she shut up, going a bit red. I knew she liked him!

"What were you saying? What do you want to be, kitten?" Sirius asked, and I blushed a tiny bit at the nickname. "Nothing," I muttered.

James opened his mouth, probably to question me, but one glare shut him and everyone else up. In a few minutes, we, meaning everyone excluding Peter, went to our first class, Transfiguration, and I was excited to start Hogwarts with my favorite subject. At the start, the professor informed us about the difficulty level increasing because of our N.E.W.T.S, and that she expected the best from everyone. I'm not normally attentive in class, my mind choosing to wander around instead of actually focusing, but McGonagal had the power which might even make Voldemort shut up and listen.

Not until we started doing the practical work did I understand the true meaning of a difficult year. Non-verbal spells took the life out of me, and gave everyone faces as if they were trying to make things move with their mind, which, in some way, was what they were actually doing. I did manage to disarm Lily non-verbally at the end, though her wand just weakly wobbled, and wouldn't have fallen off her grasp had she not been scowling at Potter's infamous inappropriate pick-up lines.

After a free period where I immediately went to sleep with Marlene, we had Charms, and the school day was over. The boys made it their duty to cause as much trouble as they can in the common room, but eventually calmed down to sit with us around the fireplace. Sirius sat on the couch, right behind where I sat on the floor, and absentmindedly started playing with my hair. I leaned into him, and engaged in the weird conversation about who would win in a match - thestral or hippogriff. Looking around, I realize I've never felt so.. homey. At Beauxbatons, everyone usually kept to themselves, and I barely went home, choosing to stay with my aunt in France due to the long-distance and constant need for airplane tickets. I look into the fire, and for a second, I think it shaped itself as a heart, but it's gone within a second, so I blame it on my weird imagination.

"There, all done!" Sirius exclaims, gently putting an intricate braid on my shoulders, and I gasp at it. "Since when the hell did you become a hair specialist? You know what, never mind. You're doing my hair from now on." He chuckled, got up, gave a little bow, and announced, "I'm going to bed, see you all in the morning. Coming, lads?" All the boys agreed, and James and Sirius shoved each other trying to reach the top of the staircase first, which resulted in James falling down, Marlene and me bursting into laughter, and a worried Alice running over to help him. Lily and Mary had already retired to bed.