"It runs in the family.."

Well I guess I could say this all started my first year at Hogwarts...

I set all alone on the train that day to Hogwarts, A few different kids would walk passed my compartment and smile or say hi. But I didn't mind being alone. I was just too anxious to speak to anyone.

That evening when we finally made it, the gasps filled the entire atmosphere. As my eyes fixed upon the large castle; my breath was instantly taken away. I had always heard tales and stories of the history behind this place, and now I'm here.

We walked in, still in utter shock that the walls around us wasn't just fables captured in a book that we had read as bedtime stories.

"Good evening children"

Our attention was caught by an older woman who stood at the top of the stairs, dressed in a long emerald robe and an elegant charcoal hat; peering over us. "I'm professor McGonagall....I'm sure you all are exuberant about getting inside the great hall... but first you must be sorted into your houses"

"They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin" 

Some first years could pretty much assume which house they would be separated into, especially if your family had attended in the past. I heard a few kids behind me whisper after a house was announced, it was obvious where some would go.

I had no clue.

I was born into a Slytherin family, I had always felt excluded I guess. There's a stereotype about Slytherin's being "evil". I always found that ridiculous. Some Slytherins were actually quiet joyful to be around. Just because there were some infamous people that came from Slytherin, everyone assumes they are all malicious.

The great hall.

It was exquisite, four long wooden tables that stretched from the front to the back of the room, candles floating from the ceiling, huge stain glass windows, a long metal table boasted up on a stage-like setting filled with professors discussing over dinner.

I'd never seen anything like it...even the pictures from my books didn't do it justice.

We gathered around the stage and Professor McGonagall begin naming students to get sorted.

My hands were trickling sweat.

"Olivia Jade!"

Here we go.

The professor placed the antique, umber-colored hat on my head.

"Ah Miss Jade.." The hat spoke

"I know all about The Jade family.....Slytherin's right?" The hat laughed

"I see you're a bit different...not as cunning as your father now are we?"

My foot began tapping against the small stool awaiting his decision, almost like a clock.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Tick. Tock. Tick.

"GRYFFINDOR" the hat exclaimed

Cheers of excitement from the Gryffindor table shot through the air.

A sigh of relief fled my body. I guess I had always known I wasn't a Slytherin, I just need to hear it to believe it.

"Coming from a Slytherin family? She's a joke" I turned to see a pale kid standing with his arms crossed laughing with his entourage.

I could tell from the platinum blonde hair and freshly ironed robe. It runs in the family....He was a Malfoy.

My family knew them, we went to their annual parties they had at the manor. I never paid attention to him... or any of them.

I was convinced people like them, were the reason Slytherin's had a bad name

"Just ignore him...everyone else does, you can come sit with us if you'd like" a frizzy-haired brunette girl smiled at me

"I'm glad I won't have to deal with him much longer"

"It looks like we'll be great friends then" she giggled

"I'm Hermione Granger by the way" she held her hand out

"Olivia Jade" I smirked, placing my hand in hers