Never to Return

Water cascades down my thick, blonde hair. Pieces are sticking to the lining of my forehead as the water drops down my chin onto my chest. The water droplets following an invisible path down my body to the drain.

I become numb to the burning of my flesh from the scalding temperature. At this point I should be used to the heat, I've experienced enough of it.

The pounding in my head subsides as I hear the slamming of the front door. Exhaling, I start to breathe deep, trying to calm down my shaking hands. Even knowing I am alone leaves me with an unsettled feeling.

Grabbing the soap, I apply a hefty amount onto my hands, rubbing profusely, causing bubbles to fall to the ground and wash down the drain.

Bringing my hands to my legs, I ferociously scrub. Back and forth, back and forth. I repeat this until my legs are glowing red and raw, but no matter how much I try to wash myself of the bruises, of the touch he left behind, it still remains, adorned on my skin. Permanent reminders of his obsessive, unwavering hold on me.

My arms are next as I bring my hands up to the opposite side. Once again trying to scrub away the pain that I have become accustomed to. My mind goes numb as I scrub away, just like I have for as long as I can remember. This routine is nothing new to me, but after today this will hopefully be the last.

Time passes like the water falling from the shower head. I stay under the water until it runs ice cold, paralyzing me from movement.

Bringing myself back to reality, I step out from the shower wrapping a towel around my shivering skin. The skin has wrinkled on my fingertips and my lip trembles, most likely blue from cold.

Standing in front of the mirror, I no longer recognize the girl staring back at me. My once warm and vibrant skin has faded to an almost pale white/gray color after all this time. At one point my eyes that used to be piercingly blue have now turned to a dull, colorless appearance.

I am a shell of what I used to be, I guess that's what happens when you have gone through what I have.

My body is patterned with bruises covering most of my legs and arms. It's been long enough that I know how to cover them from the peeping eyes of my nosey town.

I shake myself of those thoughts as I know I don't have much time. I may be alone for now, but that won't last much longer.

Rushing back into my room I throw on a t-shirt and jeans. My hair can be air dried and I can choose some slip on sandals for now. Time is of the essence and I can only pray that fate is on my side for once.

I grab my pre-packed bags from the closet as well as the stashed cash that is hidden behind a panel. I take one last look around the place I used to call home.

I have no more good memories of this hell-hole. Every crevice and corner hold a dreadful thought of the past that I was cursed with. This house stopped being a home the moment I was brought here.

Making my way into the garage, I throw all of my things into the trunk. I sit behind the wheel, willing myself to drive away.

I know that even though I am leaving, I will never be able to rid myself of this place. Memories will never leave me even if I remove myself. My past will always come back to haunt me.

Now it's time for me to take care of me. There is no one else anymore.

The music goes in one ear and out the other as I mindlessly drive to the place that I have come to call a heaven. To the one place I have always felt safe in.

I open the door and hear the bell that brings a slight sense of calm to my overly anxious self. Taking a deep breath, I walk up to the woman I can thank for always saving me.

"Riley?" She practically runs around the counter coming to inspect the very apparent bruises that I left visible to the prying eyes of my surroundings. I ignore their obvious stares as I focus on the only person who matters.

"Mabel." I try to calm her down, but she just talks over me.

"I will kill him, he is a goner. I know I promised you, but I can't stand to see you like this anymore. I don't care if he thinks he is some hot shot, when I get done with him-" She rambles.

"Mabel I'm leaving." This shuts her up immediately as her gaze fixates on me. Tears start to fall down her wrinkled cheeks. She takes a deep breath and pulls me into one of her infamous hugs.

"Don't worry about me, love. This is how it is meant to be. You finally get to be you again." She says between light sobs. "It's been too long since I have seen a smile on this beautiful face." she caresses my check lovingly with the back of her hand.

"I love you Mabel. I will never forget everything you have done for me. I owe you my life."

"Hush now child. You were meant for so much more than this world has given you." She lets me go and kisses my cheek. "Be free and may we meet again."

Pushing me towards the door, I look back one last time at the only person who has ever loved me. Forcing my tears down I turn back and push the door open.

My steps are hesitant, as is my lack of confidence in myself and my choices as I walk away from the bakery one last time. Leaving behind my life and my memories.

Sliding back into my car, I start it and make my way back on the road. I am in for a long drive, but I have been waiting my whole life for this moment.

Once I see the sign, the weight lifts off of my shoulders. I finally got out of the town that has brought nothing, but heartache and pain.

For the first time in my life, hope has been brought back into my dark world.

Hello my lovelies, I am back and better than ever. I am so excited for this story, but first I want to hear your thoughts?

What do you think about this first chapter? Any guesses abut what is going on in Riley's life?

Is anyone else as excited as I am right now? Probably not!!!

Don't forget to vote and add the story to your library so you can get reminders of when I update!

See you next time...