Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter 21•
04/13/21
Word count:1054

~The Forest~

It has been 20 minutes since the written exam started. I could sense everyone's aura very uneasy, especially Naruto's. He is having a whole existential crisis up in front while Hinata is trying her best to calm him down without getting caught.

I looked over the questions again and they were fairly easy but my way of thinking wasn't shared by many of those in this room. With a small sigh I finished up the questions and closed my eyes, I was beginning to see various ghosts in the room and their appearance wasn't very nice to see.

"Times up, pencils down." The man who had presented himself as Ibiki announced and people began to shift anxiously in their seats.

He began saying things about the last question to the exam, and how we will fail if we get it wrong. Many people decided to go the safer way and got up and left. I with the remaining ones that decided to stay , just stared at him waiting for him to continue.

"Congratulations, you passed." He finally spoke. Naruto bursted out happy of the sudden announcement. While I shifted my gaze to see the different reactions of the people in the room.

Many gave a sigh of relief and others were so out of it. I was about to place my head on the desk as I played with the pearl inside my pocket. I knew I should've left the pearl with Hiro, but I've grown used to always having it with me that I don't feel comfortable without it. It's like I'm missing something important and that just doesn't sit right with me.

"Alright maggots, you are with me now." A lady said as she bursted through the wall with a huge banner. She has one fierce of an aura, hmm.

Everyone got up and placed the test on the front desk and followed closely behind the young kunoichi. She stopped in front a huge forest and began explaining to us the rules and what we had to do. Sasuke went to get the scroll and came back and placed it inside his pocket.

My team and I went to one of the gates and waited for it to open. When we were fully inside my heart beat began to pound faster and faster. The trees were huge and I could see many creatures around. This place reminds me so much of home. A grin made its way to my face as I heard a river not far from here.

"Follow me guys." I said and my team went into combat formation to be ready in case an enemy attacks.

We jumped around a few trees until we came to a full stop once the river was in front of us. By this time the sun was beginning to set and we had to take shelter.

"I'll go look for something eat" I told them.

"In that case I'll look for things to make a fire." Sakura said but Naruto stopped her.

"Nah there is no need, Teme here can do it. He can blow fire like he's blowing a candle. He can take care of the fire, right Teme?"

"Hn"

"Uhh then in that case, I can help set up traps." She said.

"And I'll set up the campsite, Dattebayo."

I nodded at them and made my way around the surrounding area in the search of any source of food.

When I returned to the campsite the fire was already ignited and my teammates were sitting down and chatting with each other.

I got a glimpse of a few spirits around but I tried my best to ignore them. "Whatcha' talking about guys?" I asked as I prepared the food.

"I was telling Teme that Ramen is better than tomatoes, and Sakura is arguing dangos are superior. Like why! It doesn't make any sense to me, dattebayo!" Naruto explained as if he was having a whole life crisis going on.

"Well, if you ask me I like hamburgers best. They are pretty tasty. When I used to spend time with Uncle Sota and his family we would usually go and buy some specially when my younger cousin Mei wanted to go."

"Really? That's awesome! I didn't know you had another uncle besides Mr. Sesshomaru-sama." Sakura said.

"Yeah, I have two blood related uncles and three adopted uncles you could say. On my father's side I have uncle Sesshomaru and from my mom's side I have uncle named Sota. My adopted uncles are really close friends to my parents, they are named Shippo, Miroku and Koga." I said as warm memories of them passed by my memory line.

"They are really lucky to have you Kaori-chan, you're really cool~! Dattebayo." Naruto exclaimed making me chuckle. And for a moment I nearly forgot about everything else. These children are too kind for their own good.

After chatting for a bit we had to call it a night and sleep to gain some energy to reach the tower in time. "I'll take first shift." Sasuke said.
"I'll take second I guess." Naruto said with a yawn.
"Kaori, which shift would you like?" Sakura asked.
"You can take third, I'll take the last one. Each shift will take 1 hour and a half each." I replied as I analyzed the moon and where in the sky it was located. It is around 12 am, so we'll be getting up before sunrise to make sure we arrive on time, we still need to obtain the scrolls.

The night ran smoothly, too smoothly at that. It made me suspicious, it made me wonder why we haven't encountered any enemy teams yet. I could sense their smell a few miles away but they never get closer. It's as if they are avoiding us, but why?

We cleaned out our campsite after eating a quick breakfast and soon began scouting the surrounding area. Not far from our location I sensed a team, I quickly informed my teammates and began to form a strategy.

Once we were in a good position to ambush, we waited silently. We masked well our chakras and presence, and attacked once the enemy was where we wanted them to be. Let's show them what we got.