twelve

Chapter 12: Hindrance to Our Future

~•~~

You

"How's life?" Jeremy asked me while he opened the can of his cola. I just stared at mine while thinking of the most appropriate answer to his question. And mind you, 'peaceful' is not one of the options.

I sighed, "Kind of chaotic." I put my drink down beside me. I remember my near-death experiences in the pizzeria and Ennie's special visit, and they are pretty terrifying. But I also reminisced the times I had with Mike and smiled. "But it's not that bad."

I noticed Jeremy was looking at the people passing by the bench we're sitting on. I'll just assume he didn't see me smile or anything. I'm pretty sure he won't question that nonetheless. He will overlook that smile, unlike most of the people around me. If I was with Aunt Marissa right now, she'll probably tease me and say that I am thinking about my boyfriend, which doesn't exist, by the way.

"I guess I missed a lot of things while I was in the hospital," Jeremy looked at me then smiled. I can't help but look at his head to see his wound, but the only thing left was a scar.

It's either he heals quickly, or the hospital did a very great job of taking care of him. Or maybe, the injury isn't that bad outside, but the damage his brain took is too much to even put him in a brief coma.

I smiled back, "Yeah, I actually confirmed what you were always telling me about."

His smile slowly disappeared. "What do you mean?"

Ah, I knew this would concern him. He was always telling me stories of his night shift before, and how dangerous it is. Now I'm telling him I experienced that too.

"W-well, the night when... the incident happened..." I said, not being able to say what that incident really is. It's still disturbing to remember even if everything turned out to be alright. "I accidentally stayed too late at the pizzeria and, time just passed quickly. I didn't notice it was midnight already-"

"Don't tell me they attacked you?!" He looked really upset.

"Okay, calm down. The night guard was there to help me."

Jeremy seemed to relax a bit. He shut his eyes and sighed. "I'm glad you're okay," he leaned on the bench and took a sip from his soda again. "So, who's the knight in shining armor?"

I hesitated to answer because of the nickname. "...The night guard, Mike..." I was about to say his full name, but I realized I never knew it. "He seems to know how the animatronics work in that place. They were so aggressive that night too..." As I say this to Jeremy, it made me more curious about Mike. He seemed to be an expert when it comes to fending the robots off.

"Oh! He might be a robotics genius! I want to meet him..." Jeremy looked at the ground and smiled to himself. Is he that much of a fan of animatronics? I shouldn't be surprised, really. Back when he was the night guard, our conversations were mostly him talking about the animatronics.

<~~~~

"Then, I kind of panicked because I don't know how to deal with them! They could be like Foxy where you just flash your light at, then they will be gone, or just like the rest where you have to put the mask on," Jeremy was once again rambling about his experience last night.

He tells his stories with so much enthusiasm, maybe to avoid inflicting fear on me too. But I could still notice the fright in his voice, in the way it cracks from time to time, and sometimes it just shakes. "But I'm glad I figured out their mechanics before I even die," Jeremy let out a shaky breath and sat down beside me.