chapter two [ edited ]

Marinette POV (the next day) After School

"School was horrible," I say to Tikki as I slump into my chair. "But you did well in all your classes. And you weren't late for once. Why are you so down?" Tikki asked, confused. 

"Adrien. He wasn't there. I missed seeing him. I have this unsettling feeling that he's not okay." I look out the window, sighing as the feeling is eating me alive. I want to see him. Just to make sure he was okay. 

"It'll be okay Marinette. I'm sure he'll be fine. And besides, don't you have homework to complete?" Tikki reminds me. I frown, homework is the last thing I want to do after not seeing Adrien all day. 

"If you finish fast, you can patrol as Ladybug and see if Adrien's around?" She convinced me with that line. I smile and get to work. 

10:30 P.M.

*tap, tap, tap*

I thought I heard something. But I desperately wanted to finish homework so I could go check up on the love of my life. 

*tap, tap, tap*

Ugh. What is this strange tapping sound? I get up and look around. The tapping continues. I follow the sound and then I realize it's coming from my trap door. Ah, now I get it. It's my silly kitty. 

I open the trap door and before I can greet him, he leaps inside.

"Sorry, it's pretty cold out there." He states wrapping his arms around himself to keep warm. I look around my room and find a blanket that I offer him. He wraps the blanket around himself and I gesture to my bed. He sits down, his body shivering from the cold. 

I sit beside him. Upon a close look, I can see his exhausted face. And red, puffy eyes. 

"Chat, have you been crying?" I ask gently and take his face in my hands. I want to look at his face. His tired face. My heart cracks a little at the uncertain, tired look on his face. He looks like he hasn't got enough sleep.

"Marinette." He whispers, green eyes staring into my bluebell ones. My breath hitches a little as he says my name.

He takes my arms off of his face and continues to stare at me. I feel heavy under his gaze, but I keep eye contact. His eyes are as bright as ever. They look fiery as if they're about to set everything on fire right this second.

He moves closer to me and I hold my breath. Suddenly, I feel leathery arms embracing the small of my back. My eyes widened at the realization of what was happening. 

Chat Noir was hugging me. Hugging me. I don't know why, but I enjoyed it. A lot. I hesitantly put my arms around his body and hugged him close to me. I feel his warm breath on my neck. His heartbeat sends vibrations all the way down to my toes.

Then, I feel shaking. Shivering. He's shivering? No. He's crying. Oh my god, Chat Noir is crying. My heart cracks once more. Waiting to jump out of my body and embrace him. Embrace him and tell him it'll be okay. He's hurting, and I have no clue why. I want to know. I want to know who made him feel this way. 

 I catch myself before I start thinking too much. It's not time to analyze this, Marinette. I remind myself. I find his hair with one of my hands and hold his head close to my shoulders. I let him cry on my shoulder. I can feel my eyes burning and before I know it, I'm crying too.

My cheeks are wet and my shoulder is wet. We cry for a while. I cry because of the fact that I don't know why he's crying. 

After a bit, he stops shaking, and a bit after that he slowly pulls away.