Challenger.

*Renna's POV*

         Brenton immediately went for the flesh on my sides. I screeched and bucked, slinging him over my head to the ground between my front legs. I didn't care at this moment if Lorcan witnessed, I speared my horns into any part of Brenton I could jab. He finally managed to get away from me and he crouched once more to attack.

      "Brenton. Leah. Stand down now!" Lorcan roared as he shifted and ran to our sides, studying is as we continued to size one another up. "Tell me what the Hell is going on here now! Brenton, speak." Brenton remained crouched in his snarl as he starts.

      "This bitch interfered in our responsibilities. A female was escaping, and we killed her. In the middle of killing her this thing comes running out demanding we stop. Bronwyn tried to stave her off without force and she murdered him in cold blood!" He spits. 

       "Horse shit. Horse fucking shit! I did run out demanding he stop, I didn't think she deserved to die. I thought she was supposed to go to the house. As soon as I begged him to stop the scent of blood filled the air. He tore her whole throat out. I lost it. I'm not used to this. I'm not used to seeing defenseless women murdered in cold blood. Bronwyn at least stood a fighting chance. He was going for my throat as soon as he lunged, he had the murderous look in his eyes. So I gored him when he jumped me. It caught him under his chin. How was I supposed to know where I had caught him?"

       "There you have it, she admits." Brenton sneers.

       "Yes, I admitted. But on the flip side, was he really much of a henchman if an injured, weakened female could off him? I have no experience in battle. None. I was told to avoid all stressors to heal, and he chased her here purposely to kill her before me. He has cost me more time, all just to taunt me." 

       "You think you are so important that we'd waste time to taunt you?"

        "Obviously. Your alpha claimed me and perhaps you came at me as a way to poke at your alpha. You knew his intentions for me, and you both purposely set out to ruin my progress."

       "She's one of the girls! She should be locked in that goddamn room with the others. If you had locked her up, my brother would still be alive." Brenton howls, grief now creeping into his voice. "You said this pack was your family. You put your whore before us. My brother is dead!" He shouts now, hair raising again.

      "You dare question my behavior as alpha? You and your brother are betas. Betas. He should have been able to have killed Leah without issue. Stand down, and go home. We will honor Bronwyn tonight in ceremony. She will pay, but so will you if you do not leave."

      "Not good enough. This is blatant disrespect to my brother and I. After our loyalty, this is how you repay us? I do not want her to pay! I want eye for an eye, life for a life. I want her to perish as he had to!" Brenton snarls.

     "Stand down. Final warning. I know you are grieving, but I will not stand here and be challenged and slandered. Go home." Brenton scoffs.

      "Fuck you, alpha. If you won't kill her, I will. I might kill you too." He jumps for Lorcan, and I stand back. Part of me wants to intervene on Lorcan's behalf just to be certain Brenton is defeated, but a more primal part of me tells me to stand down. That interference will be seen as insult and I wouldn't like the consequences. Lorcan easily evades.

      "One last chance. If you come at me again, you'll join your brother." Brenton is too far invested, his pride wouldn't allow him to retreat at this point and he comes for Lorcan's throat. Part of me longs to trip Lorcan, I would rather square off with Brenton, yet I still do not interrupt. 

      The two circle one another for quite some time before anyone strikes again. Brenton strikes first once more, still aiming for Lorcan's throat and Lorcan slams him away. Brenton huffs and tries for Lorcan's belly, almost connecting before he receives a hoof to his snout. He snarls and lunges for the legs now, no real planning here. This is suicide. I realize. He is either going to win or die, and he's far too crazed to use his mind and body together. Lorcan swats him away and he circles Lorcan again, strategically breaking this time. He shakes his head and body out as he keeps his eyes trained on his opponent.

       Lorcan and I are both stunned when he instead lunges for me. I rear up just in time to protect my throat and I catch him in my front knees and slam him down. He bites my leg to make me release and I stomp at him until Lorcan shoves me aside to grab him in his jaws.  He pulls him up by the scruff as if he's but a pup and he throws him down. Head raised condescendingly as he watches him regain his feet.

       "Surrender, and leave and you will be spared."

       "Never. It is your last day as alpha. I retire you today. You will fail no one else as you have my brother will your incompetence."

       Lorcan tackles him, head down and his racks scoops him up  like a shovel. Brenton uses Lorcan's own momentum to launch high over Lorcan's back to bite in and start lacerating the flesh along the spine. Lorcan rears and jumps straight onto his back and they both howl out and frustration. Blood runs down Lorcan's side and he trembles with rage. Brenton smirks and pounces and Lorcan goes him midair with his horns, thrashing his body as he wails out in surprise.  Lorcan lowers his head and impales Brenton as he rams him into a tree. Lorcan's tines are buried to the hilt in Brenton's body. Copper and death waft through the air and invade my senses.

       I'm relieved that the twins of terror are gone, but death still makes me uneasy. I drop my head as Lorcan shakes the corpse loose from his rack. Blood runs over his head and neck in rivulets and trail down his frame. He turns his feay gaze to me and I shiver. I'm not big enough to handle him, having just shifted over a week ago I don't even have the experience or a large enough rack to contend with him. I can only hope to outsmart him.

      "You've cost me two men. Your little resting period is over. To the cabin before I kill you too."

       "What are you going to-"

       "In the house now!" He charges at me and shoves me harshly onto my side. He tries to stomp me and I try to sweep his leg so I can get up to escape. The sounds of brush rustling, and leaves and twigs snapping under feet make us both turn our heads.