Chapter Five

It was the next day, and (Y/N) was reading something in a large book. "What are you doing?" Chrysalis grumbled, looking at her with an unhappy expression. "It's called stress-reading. I do it when I feel like I'm about to die, and I probably am, otherwise I wouldn't be reading such a boring, useless piece of literature," she responded, flinging the book into a trash bin.

The door jingled, and Chrysalis hurried out of sight as a male unicorn entered. He wore a brown, fancy tux. His black mane was smoothed back, and his crystal eyes were like ice. His skin was light grey and smooth and he strode up to the desk.

"Do you have my potion?" he asked (Y/N), his voice silky but cold. She shuddered, feeling like something was crawling on her. "U-Uh- What- what potion? What's a potion? Do you even English, bro?" (Y/N) stuttered out.

His eyes went hard. "You know very well what a potion is, Ms. (Y/N). Where is my potion? I'm not repeating myself again."

(Y/N) swallowed and faced him with a nervous laugh. "W-Well, there was this customer, a-and they sort of- kind of... Devoured the Moss Tree seeds?" she finished in a high voice, pushing the empty bottle towards him.

"WHAT?" he boomed, scowling and taking a step forward. "I'm going to make you pay!" he hissed, his horn lighting up with a luminous, bright blue glow. (Y/N) shrank back, but then she saw a mirror beside her. Taking it up, she used it as a shield just as he blasted at her. The spell rebounded and struck him instead and he blasted through the front doors of the cabin, sprawled limply on the ground.

(Y/N) let out a large breath and slammed the doors shut with her magic, looking irritated. "Stupid deranged customers just have to enter my shop once a year, don't they? And the pay was good, too!" she grumbled, then calmed down as she sorted out the stuff on her desk. Flipping the Open sign over, it now read Closed as she turned the lights off and slid under her desk and sprawled on her small mattress bed there, using her cape as a blanket.

***

(Y/N) awoke to the sound of shuffling. Lifting up her head groggily, she saw the frail Tirek looking through her potions. She let her horn glow dimly. "What are you doing?" she muttered. He jumped slightly, then backed up slightly on his four legs. "Well, whatever it is, be careful and don't break anything."

Then (Y/N) lowered her head once more and let the glow from her horn vanish.

Day came sooner than anticipated. "I have a plan," Cozy Glow muttered mischievously. "We'll gain (Y/N)'s trust, and when we grow powerful enough, we'll use her to our advantage!" she laughed quietly.

"So we'll make her a pawn in our game..." Chrysalis spoke thoughtfully. "I like it!" she cackled finally. "Lucky Runner!" (Y/N)'s voice exclaimed from downstairs. "I think that's our cue," Tirek grumbled as they made their way downstairs.

As they peered around the corner, they saw a small brown filly with bright green eyes and a four-leaf clover cutie mark. (Y/N) was looking at him, practically beaming. "How's my greatest customer doing?" she asked him, patting him on the head.

"Do you need any help?" Lucky questioned, following her behind her desk. "No, I do not," she told him, beaming. "Thank you for asking, though." Lucky frowned slightly. "My mother said that you both used to be friends," he told her, his eyes rounding innocently.

"Did she now?" (Y/N) questioned, pausing to look at him. At his nod, she laughed, but it was more bitter. "Oh, well, that's true. Why are you telling me this?" she questioned her customer, taking out a few herbs and using her horn to cut them with a knife.

"She said that she stole something from you," Lucky told her. She didn't looked fazed. (Y/N) put the sliced up herbs into a bowl. "Well, that's okay. I'm used to it by now." There was a moment of silence between the two for a brief second, then (Y/N) started back up the conversation.

"So, since it's your birthday tomorrow, how would you like it if we went out and bought you something rather nice for a change, instead of you being stuck up in here?" she grinned at the filly. His eyes sparkled. "Really? Are you sure you have enough money?" he questioned, sounding doubtful for a moment.

(Y/N) looked at her scarcely full money jar. "Of course I do!" she told him brightly, hiding it behind a shelf before he could notice. "But what about work?" Luck asked her. (Y/N) smiled with a playful eye roll. "I'll get someone over here, or I'll just shut down for the day. You worry too much for a young colt. Why don't you get home and get some rest?"

Lucky beamed at her brightly before skipping out of the shop. At that moment, (Y/N) let her happy expression fall and let her head hit the table. "Why is it soooo hard to be a good creature?" she groaned quietly, then straightened up and put on a jolly expression once more as the door swung open once more and she greeted her next customer.