CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"Hermione," Kiera panted as she hastily sat down at breakfast, "I need your help. Can I borrow dress robes for Slughorn's Christmas party?"

Hermione looked up from the Daily Prophet, a grin broking out on her face. "So he finally asked you, did he?" she enthused.

"Yeah! Anthony asked me during duties last night," said Kiera, unable to suppress the happy smile on her face.

"Anthony asked you?" asked Hermione, seeming somehow less excited.

"Yeah!" said Kiera, spreading butter onto her toast. She suddenly halted and turned to look at Hermione, her eyebrows knitted. "Who'd you think asked me?"

"What? I meant Anthony," said Hermione hastily. "Of course. Anthony." She glanced down the table where Harry had just sat down opposite Ron, looking utterly miserable.

"So, can you lend me dress robes?" Kiera asked hopefully.

"Oh, I'm sorry Kiera but I haven't got any spare," Hermione said, genuinely sounding it. "I mean, it's not exactly like I wear them a lot. You remember I only bought one pair from Madam Malkin's this summer."

Kiera frowned with worry. "You haven't got any extra? But what am I supposed to wear? I can barely go in my school robes..." Just then Ginny passed them with Luna and Kiera latched onto her arm as if to a lifeline. "Ginny! Please tell me you have spare dress robes."

Ginny only shook her head. "Sorry Kiera, but mum just posted me the one that I'm using and that's the only one I've got at school."

Kiera slumped onto the table exaggeratedly at a loss for hope. "I haven't got anything to wear," she moaned. "I only own one dress, and it's a Muggle dress, not to mention a very casual one. I can't possibly wear that. I should've bought a set when you did, I just didn't think I'd use them."

Hermione, however, seemed to have an idea. "Tell me more about this dress."

"Why?" Kiera moaned. "I can't use it for a Christmas party."

"Oh, just stop being such a pessimist," Hermione complained. "Meet me in our classroom after breakfast, and bring it with you."

After a quick breakfast, Kiera did as instruct. She ran down to her dormitory and after a minute of rummaging through her messy trunk, she retrieved the dress. She picked it up and walked back up the stairs with it in her bag.

Her, Hermione, Harry, nor Ron hadn't been inside the abandoned classroom for a long time due to all the quarrelling that had been going on amongst them, and as she entered, Kiera noticed a few new items stowed in the room.

Hermione, who was already there, seated on one of the doxy eaten cushions, looked up. "Oh, good," she said. "Give it to me."

Kiera handed over the dress with a doubtful groan. There was no way she would be wearing that to the party. The dark green cotton was awfully worn out, with a few holes on the left side of the hem.

Hermione studied it with a focused glint in her eye. "Okay," she said after evaluating the clothing for a while, "we can make this work."

"How exactly?" asked Kiera, fighting hard to stop herself from scoffing. She was going to look terrible, what if Anthony retracted his invitation for her to join? "Hermine the party is tonight."

"Really, Kiera, you've been taking Transfigurations for six years," said Hermione. "There's nothing here that a bit of magic can't fix."