CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"It's brilliant," said Amanda, as she, Brandon, and Cody fell into step with Kiera.

"Yeah," said Cody enthusiastically. "And right by Snape's office, too!"

"Be quiet," said Kiera, though there was sweet smile tugging at her lips. "Somebody will hear you."

"It's brilliant," whisper-yelled Brandon, grinning widely. Last night, Dumbledore's Army had struck again. 'We will not be silenced' painted right by the Headmaster's office.

"Can we come with you next time?" Amanda asked, jumping slightly with excitement.

"Absolutely," Kiera began, the three first years' faces lighting up, "not."

Their faces fell. "Why?" whined Cody.

Kiera shook her head incredulously. "It's way too dangerous, and you're way too young."

"No fair," said Brandon. "Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger went down the trapdoor when they were our age, and they stopped You-Know-Who."

"Well, you've just said it, haven't you," Kiera grinned at them. "Harry, Ron, and Hermione did that, not me. Therefore, that's an invalid argument."

*

"Where do you think you're going, Miss Walker?" asked Amycus Carrow's snide voice.

The girl paused in her steps into the Great Hall and turned around, eyebrows raised. "To breakfast..." she said.

"At the Gryffindor table?" he asked in feigned surprise, walking closer to her. "Why, I think your own house table should suffice."

Kiera had known it was coming. Both Ginny and Luna were gone, and now it was just her and Neville that were the leaders of the DA and the Carrows were prepared to use any means, however petty, to make them feel out of power. It was just a matter of time, but she had wished it would have been later.

She turned toward the Slytherin table, but Amycus still followed her. She glanced over her shoulder at him as if to ask when he was doing, but the Professor only 'smiled' and gestured for her to continue. "Ahh, there's a spot that seems free," he said, and now Kiera knew exactly why he had been following her.

She stopped walking and looked up and down the table for another spot, but Amycus grabbed hold of her shoulders and forcibly moved her into the free seat. "Well," he said with a disgustingly sweet voice, "you enjoy your breakfast."

Kiera quickly glanced - or glared, at Pansy Parkinson, who was now sat on her right side, and Blaise Zabini, who was sat on her left. She then picked up her fork and began to eat her breakfast which was about ten times smaller than that of the ones around her. Her eyes momentarily met those of Astoria Greengrass, who was sat opposite her and smiled, causing Kiera to frown even more.

*

"Hey," said Neville as Kiera entered the Room of Requirement later that evening, still frowning. "Why did you sit at the Slytherin table this morning?"

"Well, it wasn't by choice," the girl snapped at him.

Neville cringed slightly at her harsh tone, and said, "Sorry."

"No," Kiera said, shaking her head and running a hand over her face. "No, I'm sorry. I've just had a bad day, I shouldn't take it out on you."

Neville smiled at her understandingly. "Don't worry about it," he reassured the girl. "Hey, I know what will make you feel better."