CHAPTER FIVE

She was standing on a hill, in a field, waiting anxiously, her old battered backpack on her shoulders. Kiera was dressed in muggle attire; a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a camo jacket. She glanced at her watch. It was already five minutes past.

He was late. What if something had happened? What if Death Eaters had caught them? What is he was – no he couldn't be.

She nervously looked around the field in which she stood. The wind ran through her hair and the long grass, almost creating a movie-like picturesque. The tall, slightly dried grass surrounded her, along with a few skeletal trees. It seemed like a place in which nobody had ever walked, merely because it was so ... normal. Kiera longed for normal. She longed for a reality in which her parents were still alive, in which she went to Hogwarts with her two best friends and her boyfriend. Where they could spend time talking about homework, and Quidditch, and the bloody weather. Where Horcruxes, or Voldemort, or destiny didn't exist. If parallel universes were real, she hoped her doppelgänger there was happy.

She knew it was too much to ask, he wasn't there.

And then he was.

She saw him at the base of the hill, climbing up laboriously through the long hay. They had only been apart for three weeks and six days but she could see that his messy black hair had already begun to grow. He hadn't seen her yet, but just then the boy looked up and their eyes met. Even from the distance, Kiera could see her relief reflected in his emerald irises.

A second later, they were both running to each other until they met in a beautiful collision. He smelled of petrichor in a pine forest. He was solid. He was real. Their arms flew around each other, he momentarily picked her up, and they fell backwards into the grass. She heard him grunt as he came in contact with the hard ground, a look of worry came to her face, though he didn't seem to care much as he kissed her.

It was like every kiss they ever shared; beautiful, chaotic, and ineffable. The rest of the world disappeared the moment their lips connected. She pulled away breathlessly her lips continuing to hover right above his. Her long hair had fallen like a curtain around them. The green and blue of their eyes met again, the eyes they had spent hours gazing into. Kiera could feel his breath on her lips as he spoke in a whisper.

"You're dreaming, Kiera."

And the vision shattered.

"Wake up, Kiera," Ginny shook her. "We're going to be late."

The girl didn't want to wake up.

And not because she was a sleep deprived teenager and wished to stay in bed all day; but it was that specific day: September 1st.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione had disappeared exactly a month ago and there was no news from them. The Death Eaters, or Ministry Officials, same thing really, had placed anti-Apparition charms on the Burrow and had four or five guarding the house day in, day out. Kiera had not felt Harry or seen any more dreams from his mind since they had left, and that was causing her to worry more than anything. At eleven o'clock, she would be on the Hogwarts Express and once she arrived, there would be no chance of joining the Golden Trio.

After the wedding, Death Eaters had raided every Order-related house, even burning down Dedalus Diggle's home to the ground. They had tortured both Ted and Andromeda Tonks for information on Harry, though they had both kept quiet. Pius Thickness, Voldemort's puppet, had replaced Scrimgeour as Minister, and The Ministry had released an article stating that Harry Potter was wanted for questioning about Dumbledore's death; as if Harry would have murdered him.

As if that wasn't enough, the Ministry had created a Muggle-born Registration Commission, which demanded all Muggle-borns to attend an 'interview' explaining how they attained their magic because the Department of Mysteries had apparently discovered that magic could only be passed on from another wizard and thus it was likely that Muggle-borns had gotten their magic by theft or force.