CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Do you pledge yourself to our cause? Do you swear on your life to never let anyone know anything about this? If you so much as whisper a single word we will come after you and you're going to wish you never even learned to talk."

A quiet snort came from the background, the culprit trying to muffle it by nearly shoving an entire fist in her mouth.

"Kiera," Seamus whined, turning in his seat to glare daggers at the girl.

"I'm sorry," giggled the brunette. "But, it's so funny. You're being so dramatic-"

"This is serious," the boy snapped. "Stop messing around."

"Right," Kiera said, taking a few deep breaths, trying to compose herself. "Sorry," she said again, but Seamus had already turned back to Astoria.

"Do you swear to serve our cause until we win or die trying?" Seamus said, looking at Astoria who was sat across from him. Kiera's teeth dug into her knuckles as she bit down on them to contain her laughter. Astoria agreed to do so, a slight smile on her face, too. "Good, then you're ready to join Dumbledore's Army. But FIRST, you need to prove yourself."

Kiera couldn't stop the laughter that burst from her lips. "What?" she said, tears in her eyes from amusement. "Are you going to cut her palm so she can bleed in some enchanted goblet or something?"

"Who do you think I am?" Seamus asked, befogged. "Some cult leader."

Her laugh was covered by Neville who spoke. "I think she's already proven herself," he said. "You know ... when she saved our lives."

"But then she wasn't actually a member," Seamus said, pulling a can of Mr Pulitser's All Colour Spray paint from his bag. "She's gotta leave a message."

*

Standing with Potter. Forever.

It glistened in an array of different shades of green and blue, looking much like a pine forest landscape. "Wow," Neville said, admiring the girl's work, "you're pretty good at that."

Astoria merely shrugged at the compliment. "I like to draw sometimes."

"Just one more thing," said Seamus.

Kiera groaned exasperatedly. "What now?"

Seamus shot her another glare and dug out a roll of parchment from his pocket along with a quill. It was the parchment that all the DA members had signed when they had first officially restarted it. He handed both objects to Astoria quietly who took them and after a minute's evaluation, signed her name at the bottom of the page. "Well that's it," said Seamus. "You're now officially a member of Dumbledore's Army."

*

Kiera sat on the cold windowsill, the rain outside rapping against to frosty glass. In her pale hands, she held the flask-necklace Dumbledore had left for her, staring intently into its glimmering pale silvery-blue contents.

They were memories, she knew that much; Dumbledore had said it in his will. But whos memories? Were they her parents? Her own? And why did Dumbledore have to seal the bottle so powerfully? Kiera had read nearly every book in the Hogwarts library containing spells that dealt with closing and opening things, yet had still been unsuccessful to uncork the small bottle.