CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Conjuration is the act of conjuring things (bringing thing into being) and hence being the opposite of Vanishment. It is harder than its counter-part, being a N.E.W.T.-level feat.

One should note that there are numerous restrictions (both in Law and Nature) placed on the art of Conjuration, unlike Vanishment which appears to be unrestricted. For example, something that is conjured will not last (or, 'remain in being') but it is unknown whether or not something that is vanished could forever remain in non-being if left to its own devices.

"Kiera!" someone shouted, bursting into the library and causing all heads to turn in his direction. Kiera also looked up from her Transfiguration homework to see Seamus running to her. "Kiera!"

"Seamus, be quiet," she whisper-yelled, glancing around the people who were still staring. "What's wrong?"

"Come on," he said, not lowering his voice in the slightest. Grabbing Kiera's upper arm, he pulled her up from her chair.

"Okay, let me just pack up," Kiera said, shoving her quill into her backpack.

Seamus shook his head frantically. "No time," he said, grabbing hold of her arm again and pulling her out of the library, leaving her books and half-written essay behind. They had already run two floors up until Seamus talked again. "They got Neville."

"What?" Kiera said through her laboured breathing. "Who got him?"

"The Carrows," Seamus said, still dragging her through the corridors. "They saw the paint, they know he's in the DA, and they got him."

"What!" Kiera yelled. "They got Neville? But ... they're going to kill him!"

"Don't worry," Seamus panted quietly as they ran up yet another flight of marble stairs. "He got away. He's in the Room."

"Oh, thank Merlin," Kiera said as they finally slowed down and Seamus ran across the corridor three times, the door to the Room of Requirement appearing before them. They both stepped in, closing the large door behind them. Neville and Hannah were already sat in the large room; Hannah was carefully cleaning a large cut on his left cheek.

"Oh, Neville," Kiera sighed, sitting down, next to him. "What happened?"

"I was leaving the Great Hall from dinner, on my way to meet you in the library," Neville said, filching slightly as Hannah applied anti-septic onto his wound. "And Zabini and Nott showed up, you know, throwing their usual insults about how I'm a blood-traitor and will probably turn out like my parents. I ignored them and kept on walking, but then my bag ripped; Nott's work. They had a good laugh as I scrambled for my things. Then Zabini noticed a spray-paint can that had been in my bag. It was stupid of me to forget it. I should've thrown it away last night. Of course, the Carrows were walking past us just then and they saw it and connected the dots. A whole fight broke out, they nearly got me," he said gesturing to his cheek. "But I got away and I ran right up here."

He paused before continuing. "They went after my Gran, too - she's fine. But I think it was a good time to disappear."

"Oh god," Kiera said, tears beginning to glisten in her eyes. "I haven't seen Harry, Ron, and Hermione since July. Ginny is gone, and Luna is gone. What would I do if they got you, too?"

"Hey," Neville said, looping his arms around her and hugging her tightly. "I'm fine, and I'm not going anywhere."

"But, what if..." she sobbed, tears streaming from his eyes. "I just can't lose you too."

"You're not going to lose me, Kiera," Neville said. "And now we've got someone permanently in the room to help anyone in need. That's a good thing, right?"