CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

I need the place where everything is hidden, they begged inside their heads. I need the place where everything is hidden. And after their third run, the door materialise in front of them.

The cacophony of the battle died the moment they crossed the threshold and closed the door behind them. All was silent. The room they entered was larger than the Great Hall and was filled with towering walls built of objects hidden by thousands of long-gone students.

"And he never realised anyone could get in?" said Ron, his voice echoing from the walls and the ceiling.

"He thought he was the only one," said Harry. "Too bad for him I've had to hide stuff in my time ... this way," he added. "I think it's down here..."

"Let's split up, we've ought to find it faster," said Hermione, and Harry nodded.

"Sorry," said Ron and the two stopped, "but what exactly does a bloody diadem look like."

"It's silver, shaped like an eagle, with a blue sapphire in the centre," explained Harry. And with that, they sped off up adjacent aisles. Kiera could hear the others' footsteps echoing through the towering piles of junk, of bottles, hats, crates, chairs, books, weapons, broomsticks, bats....

Deeper and deeper into the labyrinth she went, looking for anything that would fit Harry's description. She took a right turn and suddenly heard the voice belonging to Draco Malfoy. "Hold it, Potter." There was a moment's pause during which she presumed Harry turned to face the blonde boy. "That's my wand you're holding, Potter," she heard Draco say.

"Not anymore," said Harry in response. "Winners, keepers, Malfoy. Who's lent you theirs?"

"My mother," said Draco. Kiera frantically tried to follow the sound, to find the two boys, but the towers of things were very large, making it difficult for Kiera to go in the right direction. She heard Harry laugh.

"So how come you three aren't with Voldemort?" asked Harry. Kiera grimaced at the way he asked the question. She knew Draco didn't want anything to do with the Dark Lord.

"We're gonna be rewarded," said a voice she recognised as Crabbe's. Ice spread into her being. If Draco wasn't alone it would be much harder to get him to stop. Crabbe was speaking like a small child promised a large bag of sweets. "We came back, Potter. We decided not to go. Decided to bring you to him."

"Good plan," said Harry in mock admiration. He could not believe that he was this close, and was going to be thwarted by Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. "So how did you get in here?" he asked, evidently distracting them. The voices were louder now, Kiera was getting closer.

"I virtually lived in the Room of Hidden Things all last year," said Malfoy, his voice brittle. "I know how to get in."

"Why didn't you tell her? Bellatrix?" asked Harry, this time sounding genuinely curious. "You knew it was me. You didn't say anything."

"Draco." Kiera had finally found them. She walked around a rather small pile of objects, appearing next to Harry. But she didn't look at him. Nor did she look at Crabbe or Goyle. She focused her eyes on the blond, wand resting passively by her side, as she took slow steps closer to him. "You don't have to do this."

Goyle gave a barking laugh. "Look, it's the freak. What do you want?"

Kiera ignored him as she moved closer, now standing between Harry and the three Slytherins. "Please, Draco..."

"Come on, Draco," said Crabbe. "Don't be afraid. Do it. What does it matter if we have to take kill the girl too? She's nothing but a blood-traitor."