CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

The Great Hall was empty of the house banners and welcoming candles as the students marched inside and all sat down at their assigned seats. The teachers were all sitting at the staff table, though the Carrows were absent. Once everyone was seated, Snape stood up from the golden throne that had for so long belonged to Dumbledore. No one made a sound.

He seemed to be waiting for something, though nobody understood what. A full five minutes went by until the large oak doors opened, and in walked both Carrows, dragging a weak and dirty Kiera between them. It was a scare to some, seeing one of the leaders of the DA so wounded. And it was a comfort to most, knowing that at least the girl was alive. She seemed to try to walk toward the Slytherin table, evidently to sit in her designated seat, but the Carrows kept hold of her, leading her up onto the podium to stand behind Snape, slightly to his left. It was a threat. A warning. That much was obvious.

"Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you at this hour," said Snape in his icy, monotone voice. "It has come to my attention that earlier this evening Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade." A few gasps broke out in the silence of the room, echoing from the stone walls and large windows. They, however, died out instantly as Snape spoke again. "Now, should anyone, student or staff, attempt to aid Mr Potter, they will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Furthermore, any person found to have knowledge of these events who fails to come forward will be treated as equally guilty." He paused for a while, marvelling in the fear that he was able to inspire within the room. Stepping down from the podium, he began to slowly walk down the aisle between the long tables. "Now then, if anyone here has any knowledge of Mr Potter's movements this evening, I invite them to step forward ... now."

For a while, nobody moved. Then someone stood up from the Gryffindor table.

A collective gasp rang through the room. A new relief and hope flowering in those who hadn't seen him before.

Kiera felt her knees go weak. Was it real? Was he real this time? Or was this just another dream?

But somehow, she knew, she felt it in her soul. It wasn't lonely anymore. It felt his presence.

"It seems despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you still have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster," Harry spoke with an air of disgust and confidence. The doors to the Great Hall opened once more and much more welcomed people entered. Fred, George, Dean, Luna, Ginny, Cho, Lee, Kingsley, Remus, Mr and Mrs Weasley, Bill, Fleur, Neville, and at the very front, none other than Ron and Hermione. "And I'm afraid it's quite extensive."

The atmosphere in the room seemed to visibly gain light. It was as if the Order members were made of gold and upon entering, brought a glittering illumination of hope into the Castle. "How dare you stand where he stood?" demanded Harry with consuming hatred. "Tell them how it happened that night. Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!" Snape pulled out his wand. "Tell them!"

He pointed it at Harry, but McGonagall was quicker as she moved to stand in front of the boy she had taught for six years. Every Order member, still stood by the entrance, lifted their wands, simultaneously pointing them at Snape.

The Transfiguration Professor was the first to act. A red flame shot from the tip of her wand, straight at Snape, who blocked it. She sent another identical one, which Snape blocked again. This continued; McGonagall driving him backwards until he was once again up on the podium. Snape sent a curse back at her, which she deterred quickly. One of McGonagall's spells hit the Carrow twins, knocking them out cold, though it miraculously seemed to miss Kiera who was still in between them. Snape saw the two fall to the ground, and suddenly he was flying, like so many Death Eaters had done.