Chapter Fifteen: Wingspan

In a world so deprived of kindness, once one feels it, they'll spend the rest of their lives craving it.

Some believe it's better to not experience it at all.

But just like pain- love is inevitable, too.

And because of that, every individual is forced into the endless, rhetorical loop of craving affection, intimacy and care.

The world isn't fair, though.

It doesn't give everyone the same amount of suffering or fondness.

When one lacks one of these too much, they'll change.

When one has not experienced enough love, they'll gradually be pushed to the brink of numbness to the world, misery, hatred.

But one can learn that such things aren't inescapable.

Hawks wrapped you around in a warm blanket, putting bandages on your burns.

"I was so, so worried about you." He mumbled, taking you into his arms. "What the world likes to do to us is really cruel, huh?"

Though it had only been two or so days, you had missed your brother dearly.

His scent made you feel at home again.

With Keigo was the only time you ever felt truly safe. Truly okay.

Even with all his hero duties, he'd always make sure you were doing well first.

"I want to show you something. I'm taking you on a flight." He helped you up, holding your hand.

"Keigo, I can't fly right now."

"Who said you were flying?"

He picked you up, linking his arms with your shoulders and beneath your knees.

"C'mon. Let me show you the world."

He took you outside, the broad wingspan of his scarlet feathers swooshing in large motions, soaring up at a fast pace.

You shut your eyes, the chill wind of the night brushing against your skin.

You'd always loved the cold, though.

There was something about rainy days and stormy skies that sunny ones couldn't satisfy.

Wrapping your arms around your brother's neck, you could feel the warm huff of his breath on your forehead.

"We're nearly there." He said.

The city was asleep.

It was at peace at this hour.

Hawks landed on a railing without much sound at all, cautiously letting you down.

"Open your eyes." He told you.

Below you, bright lights glowed through tall buildings amongst the entire city.

Within it, all people were asleep.

Heroes, civilians, students- maybe even villains- who knows?

There was something about the feeling of being awake in a world when everyone else was resting.

It felt as if all troubles had been taken away.