10. the third task

FRED AND ANGELINA SHARED A SLY SMILE WHEN GEORGE AND ELLIE SAT ODDLY CLOSE AT BREAKFAST.

"This is new." Fred said as if he was clueless to both of their feelings up until this point. He raised an eyebrow at George who slid his arm protectively around Ellie's waist. As he did, they heard a squeal from the Hufflepuff table. "It seems as if Ev has noticed too." Fred chuckled.

"We all knew it was coming." Ron chimed in from down the table, earning an agreeing nod from Hermione and Harry.

"Really?" George and Ellie said in unison.

"Of course!" Eva squealed, coming over from the Hufflepuff table. Fred scooted over, allowing her to sit. "You think Angelina and I are the only ones who knew... but we all knew."

George and Ellie looked at each other and raised their eyebrows; apparently everyone knew but each other.

"Are you ready for the 3rd task?" Fred asked, taking a bite of his breakfast.

"Yeah, just nervous." Eva sighed, giving a half smile. "Everything's riding on this one."

Ellie reached across the table and squeezed her twins hand. "You'll do wonderful. I just know it. I'm so proud of you."

Eva smiled, batting her eyes as if she was trying to fight back tears. "Thanks, sis." Ellie smiled and released her hand, hoping to have calmed Eva's nerves.

Later that night, the crowd was bustling with excitement as the champions began their third task. Angelina and Ellie sat between Fred and George in the stands. "Are you and Fred...?" Ellie whispered.

"No. Absolutely no." Angelina whispered hurriedly, then sighed. "Okay, yeah. But don't tell any body. It's nothing official." Ellie grinned widely and nodded, agreeing to keep Angelina's secret.

Quite sometime had went by, Ellie had been cheering Eva on, but she was cheering blindly. The third task was a gigantic maze. "You know, I don't understand why they have audiences at these tasks if you can't see!" Ellie protested, crossing her arms over her chest. She wanted to know how Eva was doing. Ellie nervously bit her nails and stood up to get a better look.

Suddenly, Harry appeared as if out of thin air. The whole crowd stood up to see what was going on, towering over top of Ellie. Ellie stood on the stand behind her and stretched her neck. It wasn't just Harry; it was Eva too! Why was he laying on top of her?

"Oh, Merlin." George whispered, he grabbed Ellie and tried to shield her view. "Don't look Ellie."

"What?" Ellie broke free from his grasp. "What's going on?" She ran down the stands and to the two champions. Harry was sobbing.

"Ellie, I tried. I tried so hard. It shouldn't be this way. The trophy was a port key. He's back." Harry begged.

"Eva, come on. This isn't funny." Ellie looked down at her sister's body, her eyes were wide open and empty. She hoped this was a sick prank. "Come on, Eva. Come on." She started crying, she lifted Eva up into her lap and started shaking her limp body.

That's when something happened that every student at Hogwarts will never forget: the moment Ellie realized her sister was really dead. Eleanor let out the most blood curdling scream, that some say it even brought tears to Snape's eyes. Her scream was a moan, as if she had been hurt herself. The truth is, the pain of seeing her sister's dead body and knowing she was no longer in it was worse than any pain Ellie could think of. She felt as if half of her body had been ripped from her; in a sense, it had. Eva was her other half. How was she supposed to go in without her? Ellie had never known a life without Eva.

Ellie clutched the body of her sister and sobbed, Harry still begging for forgiveness

Ellie clutched the body of her sister and sobbed, Harry still begging for forgiveness. Ellie knew it wasn't Harry's fault, but her ears were ringing. She didn't hear anything he said. Fred and George ran to the girls, crying, but Dumbledore stopped them. "Sir, please let me through." George begged, looking at the hysterical Ellie. Dumbledore obliged, for Ellie's sake. They needed to get the body off the grass and out of peering eyes.

"Ellie, love. Come here." George said, wrapping his arms around Ellie. Ellie clutched Eva's body even harder, not wanting to let go. Dumbledore shared a knowing look with George, as if asking him to pry Ellie from Eva's body.

"I can't leave her, Georgie. I've never left her."  She cried. She took her jacket off and placed it on Eva's arms, "she's cold." Fred jerked his head away to stop himself from letting out a loud sob, but he failed. Dumbledore patted the tall red head on the back as he cried, trying not to look at one of his best friend's cold, dead body.

"I know, love." George cried, pushing his face into Ellie's hair. Fred sniffed loudly, swallowing his cries and turned around, squatting to meet Ellie's eyes. He cupped her face in his hands.

"Listen to me. I'll take care of her. You go with George. I'll make sure she gets taken care of." Fred cried, kissing Ellie's forehead. Ellie nodded, trusting Fred with her own life, she knew he would take the best care of Eva's cold dead body. She still didn't want to leave Eva, but knew she was in good hands with Fred.

Fred walked over to his friend's body and lifted her up, her head slumping over his arm. He cried as he carried her to the castle; remembering all the nights the two sets of twins spent together. He tried not to look down at her wide open eyes.

George wrapped an arm around Ellie's waist and helped her to her feet, she screamed as they walked to the castle, her legs weak underneath her. George scooped her up into his arms as they followed Fred, who was carrying Eva's limp frame. Ellie dug her face into George's chest, sobbing so hard that her cried had became silent. George was attempting to keep his tears back; he had to be strong for Ellie, regardless of how hard it was.

A/n: this chapter was extremely hard form me to write, because I love Eva and her and Ellie's bond. Unfortunately, this is the fate I had decided for Eva ever since I began writing this story. Let me know what you all think.