Part 23

Part 23

After an hour:

Both Devyani and Arnav completed their dinner.. Now, Arnav sat on the bed facing Devyani who said she wants to talk with him.

"Say Dadi.. What is it ?"asked Arnav though he knew what his dadi is going to say.

"Do you know what my Sasumaa said when I entered this house as DIL ?"asked Devyani.

Arnav looked at her grandmother totally clueless..

Looking at the clueless face of her grandson Devyani continued, " Raizada family is ruling this village from many decades.. They always strived for the welfare of this village people.. They have kept the welfare of this village and it's people before their happiness. So, from now on your first duty is to protect this village and it's people as the DIL of this family. Keep the welfare of this village before your happiness. Even if you have to die protecting this village and it's people, then die.. Or if you have to kill someone to protect this village, then kill without a second thought.. But never let the people of this village suffer.. These people turn to us in any kind of trouble.. Never disappoint them. These are the words said by my mother in law to me.."

Devyani looked at her grandson who seemed to understand what she is saying..

She then continued, " Just like my mother in law said I always strived hard for the welfare of this village and it's people.. Now it is your turn to save this village and it's people Chote."

"I don't understand Dadi.. What happened now ??"asked Arnav.

"A month back few people came to meet me. They were from one of the reputed company. The company is thinking to start it's Chemical factory here. For that they want land here. They are thinking to buy major portion agricultural lands of this village and it even includes part of Devimayya Temple too. Those people came to me as they came to know about Raizada Power in this village. They thought if I get convinced, then it will be easy for them to start their factory here. When they have explained me, I have cleared rejected the idea. They said their company is going to start a chemical factory which means it will pollute the environment here . Also, the agricultural lands here are very fertile. Major population of this village are farmers here. They don't any other works than farming..And above all they want even a part of temple too.. The company people tried to lure me with many offers but I didn't budge. Disappointed, they finally left from here. Later I came to know that Subadhra called them to her house. I don't know how Subadhra came to know that company people met me but she herself called them.. She promised them to make village people agree to give their lands and part of temple too. I also heard they offered a huge sum of money to Subadhra.. So, I am afraid now Chote. According the rule written after your grandfather's death, the eldest son is made Malik of this village. But if the eldest son is unmarried or widowed by the age he reach 30 or sacred ceremony which is held for every ten years, then the legacy is passed to the next son of the house. You are now 30 Chote and sacred ceremony is in a month.. If you aren't married by that time, then the legacy will be passed to the next son which is Shyam.. Subadhra played a clever trick and mentioned Shyam also as heir of Raizada. If the legacy falls into Shyam and Subadhra's hands, then everyone are doomed. You, me, this village and it's people, everyone will be doomed. That is why I am begging you to marry again Chote. If there was any way other than this, I would have definitely chosen it. I wouldn't have forced you for marriage. " said Devyani..

She looked at her grandson who seemed to understand the gravity of situation.

"Think about it and say me your decision tomorrow Chote" said Devyani.

Arnav deeply sighed and nodded his head.

"You sleep Dadi.." said Arnav.

Devyani slept peacefully after pouring out her heart and problems to her grandson..