in your next life; chapter 23

The more Athy walked amongst the lively crowd- the more she could feel nolstalgia, somehow. Even though she'd never been to places like that before.

It was more of the warmth of Lucas' hand interlocking with her fingers that felt so familiar- surely, they held hands often, but in a market like scene like this, it felt like a distant memory.

The lady- she forgot her name, had been up front, as they took their time to enjoy the lights and fragrance of freshly cooked food all around.

"Have I told you the story yet?" Lucas turned to her, slowing her pace down. "Told me what?"

"The full story."

"I found out that day," she mumbled, puzzled. "The full, full story."

"What now, then? Am I some princess from a far off place since you're a magician?" She rolled her eyes with a mild scoff, letting go of his hand and holding on to his arm instead. "Go ahead."

"How should I start, then?"

"I don't know the year- I don't know where, but it's all what my grandpa showed me," his warm gaze glanced over her. "I think it was called Obelia- an empire."

"I was an 800 year old magician, or something," he joked. "You still seem like one," she giggled.

"Did we know each other-"

"Hurry up!" Diana called out to them, waiting outside the restaurant. "Mommy told me not to take candy from strangers," Lucas whined, reluctant to lose his alone time with Athanasia once again.

"Mommy's not here right now, is she?" She gave a small peck to the lips, before a slight red tinted his cheeks as she dragged him along.

Restaurant; 22:10

  "I'm uneasy," Lucas leaned in close to Athy's ear. "Suck it up, it's free food, Lucas!"

  "Sometimes I wonder how I ended up dating this big idiot," he sighed. "U-Um," he looked to the lady again. "Diana."

  "A-Ah, Aunty Diana, we actually have a curfew..." his words trailed off by the time he'd notice how red her face was- the daze she was in. Crap, is she drunk? "You know!" Diana slammed her palms on the table as Athy and Lucas' eyes seemed to widen a little. "I've been watching you two!"

"These two little rascals running around- makin' out!"

They just wanted to bury their faces to hide their embarrassment. "I told you, Princess."

"You- don't have a mother, do you?" It was a rather sudden question, but the moment it ringed in her ears, Athy couldn't stop hearing it. It hit her like a truck, running over her heart that'd been fixed by Lucas.

She used to hear stories of her mother from Lily and Felix. Of how she was a beautiful person- one of long, flowing platinum hair and shimmering pink eyes. Heck, she'd even get dreams of her sometimes, of her parents on the balcony, watching the moonlight- her with her mother, wherever she was in the world.

After all, all she could rely on was her imagination.

"Hey." Lucas's face got stern- Athy could feel him getting tensed up as she tugged onto him again, "it's okay."

"Technically, your dad isn't much of one, is he?" Athy could feel her blood boiling a little.

"Well, to be honest, your daddy was one hell of an playboy-"

Athanasia slammed the table. Loud enough for the whole place to hear- loud enough, for her tears to be drowned out. She knew Diana didn't mean it- she knew she was drunk. She knew so much to understand but she couldn't.