in your next life ; chapter 4

ATHANASIA POV

  Thursday rolled around and it was the last period of the day- Literature. Honestly, my favourite, but most tiring.

"Now, now. First Literature lesson of the semester," I could hear Lucas's exhaled sigh, slouching into his chair. "Not a fan of literature?"

"Could say that," he replied. Lucas turned to me, green frames of his hoodie covering the rims of his glasses— which I never knew he wore. "You wear spectacles?"

"Only for reading," he buried his face into his hands, getting up onto his chair. It felt as if I could stare at the bare minimum of what I could see— just annoying but really cool Lucas.

"Athy- Athanasia and Lucas, are you listening?" Mr Felix Robane leaned on his back to the whiteboard, a hopeful smile lingering his expression. It was weird to call him 'sseam', after all, he'd been one of my closest companions along with Daddy and Lily since young. He was kind off- like my uncle, but more of a big brother.

"Sorry," escaped Lucas's mouth, as he turned back to the front. "No, no. What I want everyone to do, is exactly what you were doing."

"Turn to your partner, and fill out this paper about them. I want you guys to know both, Literature and your seat buddies well."

There wasn't much I didn't know about Lucas- after all, he'd been the only person I'd been able to talk to for the past whole week. Lots of people were still trying, but I'd always end up backing out. I knew that he was really cold- but super squishy on the inside. Really smart, and nerdy, but always acting cool. And that- lots of people saw him as a loser.

"So, full name," I read out loud. Lucas had been fiddling with his glasses, mouth moving a little. "Lucas. My parents made it clear I couldn't say the rest."

I frowned. Resting my chin on my palm, I couldn't help but feel a little skeptical, but I sucked it up. "Suspicious, but okay."

"Full name?"

A naughty smile crept up my lips, leaning closer to his face, I spoke, "Athanasia, the rests a secret unless you tell me yours!" I felt like a complete dork, but a dork was what I was. Nerdy, dork Athanasia.

"Really, I'll tell you..." he put his hands up in surrender, "when the time's right."

"Now, really, full name," Lucas finally crept back up to a straight seating position, pushing up his spectacles to his nose. I resisted the urge to admire the gleaming ruby red eyes of the lone black wolf. "Fine— Don't laugh."

"Athanasia de Alger Obelia," I pouted as soon as I saw the little laugh escape his mouth, his dimples dancing at the side of his cheeks. "I said don't laugh!"

"Sorry, sorry. They got 'Obelia' right too, from," he chuckled. I knew what he was going to say— the exact name of the protagonist of Who Made Me A Princess. Of all people around me, I was the only one with my name in that book- and Daddy'd always told me my mother named me from that book. "From Who Made Me A Princess?"

Who Made Me A Princess told a story of a girl who was orphaned, miserable and overdosed of sleeping pills and died one night, but woke up as a princess of a kingdom. But there was a twist— In her previous life, The Lovely Princess was told of her sister instead, and she'd died from the hatred of her father from an accusation of homicide.

I had no idea at all, too, how'd my name come from that book. Even if it meant 'to live long', it was mean to give a child the name 'Athanasia'. Even so, I liked it still. I liked that my mother gave it to me before she died.

That was why I hated people giving me the look that I was embarrassed by my name— or so, the look of a child who didn't have a mother.

"I thought you hated reading," a soft giggle curled my lips. Lucas noted down my name, the sound of his pen tip knocking against the surface as he wrote. "Doesn't mean I can't be good at it."