Eight

{Charlie's P.O.V}

"Ok, a patient came in with symptoms that include shortness of breath and/or trouble of breathing especially with physical extortion, dizziness and lightheadedness, problems with fainting during physical activity, and chest pains, along with your initial examination and finding swelling in their ankles, feet, legs, abdomen, and veins in the neck, and hearing arrhythmias, and heart murmurs. What would your first instinctive thing to test for and what tests would you do to come to that diagnosis." I read the question off the card out loud to Sloane who paces in my kitchen with half a sandwich in her hand, her blue scrubs making a weird sound as they rub together with every step. We've been doing this for about an hour because her intern exam is in a few hours and if she passes shell become a resident at the hospital, so I'm here quizzing her like I have been since 9 am, it's now 12:30.

"Cardiomyopathy, the key symptoms would be the swelling in the veins in the neck, caused by the heart pumping too much blood, you would perform a C.T scan which would show irregular heart patters and some swelling in the left ventricle." she turns to me with her eyebrows raised.

"Correct," I tell her and then toss the heavy textbook down on the island counter.

"No no don't put the book down were not done yet" she says urgently walking over and picking it up. I sigh and stand up walking up to her and grabbing her shoulders, turning her to me and looking up at her seeing as she too, along with everyone else I know has a few inches on me.

"We are done because it's past one-thirty and you have to be at the hospital in an hour. Sloane listen you're going to ace this exam I promise. And when you do I'm taking you to the club and we'll celebrate the hell out of you becoming a resident. You got this ok?" I give her shoulders a slight shake in assurance after my little pep talk and I watch her face relax.

"Ok, yeah I got this. Im going to rock this fucking exam" she exclaims and I laugh.

"Exactly. Also, we finished all the topics and questions so there's not much else to do. Now you get going because you can't be late." I tell her backing away and letting her stalk off to the front door.

"Don't forget to eat something" I remind her from my spot still in the kitchen, she gives me a thumbs up while putting her shoes on.

"And water don't forget to drink water" I add as she opens the door.

"They give us some in the exam but thank you. I love you" she yells halfway out the door.

"Love you too" I call out watching her leave but the door shuts before that.

I chuckle to myself as I turn to my coffee maker and start making another pot. I planned to start my morning with it and a puzzle-like I always do, but Sloane walked into my house and into my room at 9 am asking that I help her study, I said yes obviously. She's my best friend and she's been working so hard to become a surgeon, and after this exam, she's one step closer to where she wants to be. Im proud of her and want to see her succeed so of course id help her, she loves working at a hospital and helping other people and with her brains, who am I to not help her.

After I've made my coffee how I like it I head over to the living room, and to the small table I have near the window where my record player sits and crouch down looking through but little crate filled with records, making a mental note I need to buy another crate seeing as this one is basically filled to the brim. I flip through the alphabetically sorted records according to last names shuffle through half the alphabet until I pass the t section not finding the one I want until one catches my eye. I ponder putting this one on because I know what song is on this one. I say fuck it and grab "The Thin Red Line' album Glass Tigers 1986 album and get it on the player.