II.

I walk towards the school. The path through the forest has a vast range of plants. "Hello, Rosalie," A familiar voice says from next to me. "Why, Hello Gilbert," I respond. His messy black hair is hidden underneath a cap. "I assume you're going to school as well?" He asks. "Yep!" I respond. The wind blows against us, and my dark blue dress snaps in the wind. I shiver a bit. "Are you cold? Do you need my coat?" Gilbert asks. "No, I'm alright, thank you though," I say kindly. His brown eyes stare into my green ones for a bit. We walk in silence for a bit, then we arrive to the school.

I sit in a row near the middle, across the aisle from Gilbert. He keeps looking at me, if only for a moment or two. A couple girls look at me. "Hello! I'm Anne Shirley-Cuthbert, Anne with an E," A voice says from next to me. "Hello! I'm Rosalie Cintron!" I respond back. Anne also has red hair. "Mind if I sit here?" She points to the seat next to me. "No, not at all, go ahead," I say. "I've never met someone in Avonlea with red hair yet," She says. "Me neither, except for you," I say, and laugh. Anne and I continue to talk and get to know each other until the schoolmaster walks in.

First is Arithmetic, Then History, Then English. In English, we only must copy down words, and learn to spell. Which is pretty simple. A crumpled, paper ball lands on my desk. I look to the side, and see Gilbert looking at me.

"Want to eat lunch together?"

I look to see if anyone has seen me, but many of the girls have, and are giving me looks. Anne stares at the paper, and smiles. The other girls seem to be frowning. I ignore them and look at Gilbert. I nod, and he gives a warm smile.

Lunch arrives quickly, and I grab my bag. As I head towards the door, I get blocked by a couple girls. "Hello, I'm Josie Pye," One says stiffly. "Hello, I'm Rosalie Cintron," I say. "Listen, Stay away from Gilbert. Ruby already called dibs on him, he's hers," Josie says rudely, talking about a little, blonde girl who stands in a red dress. "Oh- Okay," I say. I don't want to upset them, and make enemies on the first day, so I don't sit with Gilbert at lunch.

Instead, I walk over to a different tree with my notebook. I start to sketch the small plants around me. "Hello," Gilbert says, sitting next to me. I ignore him. "Uh, Is everything fine?" He asks, his voice gets confused. I still ignore him. He doesn't get up and leave, instead he just starts to eat his lunch next to me. "I'm not allowed to talk to you," I whisper. "H-huh?" He says, looking at me. I look back at him. "I- Josie Pye said that I can't talk to you," I say, looking at him eyes. "Wha- And you're gonna listen to them?" He says, shocked. "Well, I guess not, but I don't want to get off at a wrong start, you know?" I say. "Just ignore them, it'll be fine," He says warmly. "Alright, I suppose," I say with a small smile. We eat our lunch together, and I try to ignore the girls staring at me through the window.

School continues, and I know almost all of it. Anne talks to me, but the others don't. Anne and Gilbert are all I need, so I don't look into it. Class ends, and I grab my black coat off the hook. Gilbert waits for me by the door. "Ready?" He asks. "Yep," I say, and we head down. He lives two houses away from me, so we can take the same path. I hold my notebook in my hand. "What's in that notebook?" He asks. "Oh, this. Well, it's just a book where I sketch or write," I say, and open it to show him. "That's a narcissus," I say, pointing to the flower.

"Life is too shortfor all he lives I have dreamt of living," Gilbert recites one of my poems. "It'sbeautiful," He murmurs. "I guess, I take it as to try to make the most out ofthis life I have," I say softly, tracing the outline of the flower with myfingertips. He nods, and skims through the other pages. He hands me back thenotebook. "These are really beautiful," He says, looking at my face. "T-thank,you" I say. His fingertips brush against mine as we walk. We talk a bit, and welearn more about each other. He walks me up to the door of the cottage. "Thankyou for the honor of walking you miss," He says with a smile. "May I walk youto school tomorrow?" He asks. "Why, I'd love to," I say with a grin. As I shutthe door and walk into the house, I can't help but have a silly grin on myface.