V.

The weekend passes, and it's time to go to school again. I walk downstairs, and eat breakfast, expecting to hear knocking from Gilbert. "Perhaps he's sick or something, Rosalie, but you must go, you'll be late," Auntie said, handing me my books. I frowned and headed out.

The next week, Gilbert isn't at school. I hang out with Anne and the girls a bit more, but I become worried. Friday afternoon, I decide to go to his house to check on him. I knock once, then twice, until finally he responds. "I just wanted to check if you're alright," I say softly. His face is stained from tears. "Gil, Gil! What happened?" I ask. "Father. H-he's dead," Gilbert says, then has a few more tears. "Oh, Gil, I'm so sorry," I say, then give him a hug. He hugs back. "Will there be a funeral?" I ask him softly. "Yes, Sunday, Will you come?" He asks. "Yes, Yes, of course, Gilbert," I say. "I'm so sorry," I say.

I head back towards the house, and feel a tear go down my cheek. Even though I only knew his Father a bit, he seemed amazing. I didn't know how Auntie would feel, because she was close to Mr. Blythe. I walk inside, and sigh. "Rosalie, What's wrong?" She asks, with a concerned look. "Mr. Blythe, He has passed on," I say. "Oh, dear," She says, and dabs at her eyes with a handkerchief. "Poor Gilbert," She says. "The funeral is Sunday, I'm sure you can come," I say. "Yes, Oh, if only I spoke with him more often..." She says, then faces back towards the window.

Sunday arrives, and I put on a black dress, and so does Auntie. We head over to the Blythe House, because Gilbert said he will be buried out in the field nearby. Gilbert shakes Auntie's hand, and gives me a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you for coming, both of you," He says. The funeral is a quiet one, except for the sniffles coming from Auntie. As it ends, Gilbert pulls me aside. "I'll be right home, Auntie," I say to Marianne, and she nods and heads back. "I- I don't know how to say this," He says. I look at him. "Say what? You can tell me anything," I say. "I'm leaving tomorrow," He says.

"Where? Do you need me to come with you?" I ask. His brown eyes look at mine sadly, then it hits me. "You're traveling away," I say quietly. "Yes, Rose, I'm sorry," He says. "No, Gil, you don't have anything to apologize for, if you need to leave, I guess, you have to then," I say, but I'm only trying to convince myself. Tears start streaming down my face. "I love you Rose; I'll write, I'll be back, just- I'm sorry," He says, and embraces me. The familiar feeling of his arms makes me sadder. "Good-bye then, Gil, I'll see you around then," I say, and pull out of his embrace. "I love you too Gil, I love you too," I say, then walk away.

I wake up the next morning and go downstairs. I still have school, and Gilbert has left. A sad look imprints itself onto my face as I head downstairs. "Here, Gilbert dropped this off this morning," Auntie says, handing me a letter.

My dearest Rose,

I'll miss you dearly, but I must do this. I'm working on a ship for a while, and I am not sure of an exact return date. By the time you have gotten this, I am probably already in Charlottetown, perhaps even on the train. I love you so much, and don't forget about me

Love,

Gil

Tears stream down my face once more as I read the letter. "Gilbert left to go to work on a ship, He told me so yesterday," I say to Auntie, folding the note. "I'm sorry, Rosalie, I know how much you loved him." Auntie replies. I nod, eat breakfast, then head to school. Sadness overwhelms me the entire time.

When I get to school, I stay quiet. "What's wrong?" Anne asks, concerned. "Gilbert left to go work on a ship," I say quietly. "I don't know when he'll be back," I finish. "Oh, Rosy, I'm sorry," Anne says, hugging me. "It's fine, really," I say. I turn to my chalkboard and continue learning. 

A/N

omg yas teaaa 

im lowkey in love with my own character 0.0

well see ya lovelies

- ema