Chapter One

Inspired by and based on Taylor Swift's song I Knew You Were Trouble. No Copyright Intended.

***

My hoodie was covering my hair, as well as the stares from all the students at Brooklyn High. I can recall the last time I had been so scared and vulnerable.

The heat was beating down on my skin from the sun high in the sky. I had a bottle of vodka in my hands and he had just left to 'talk' with some slut.

This was my first time ever going to Burning Man, the biggest party in the United States in the summer time. I could feel my head getting lighter from the desert dryness and lack of water. He said he'd be right back with some bottled water for us. But I saw him.

He went off with some cute little brunette.

My heart ached. I loved him, and he went off to be with other girls. After everything we've been through, he just left me for a stranger.

Love sucks.

I drank from the vodka bottle, before joining a large group of people all grinding against each other to the beat of Skrillex. My chest vibrated with every thump from the bass and I could feel myself becoming lighter than air.

A sob leaked from my throat as I danced with some random stranger, his hands on my hips while grinding against me to the music.

I hated my life.

I hated myself.

I hated him.

I hated love.

I hated everything.

Never had I felt so scared, alone, and vulnerable. Never had I felt so heartbroken and used. I downed the last of the contents in the vodka bottle as the song changed. My head was so light. The edges of my vision were becoming black and I stared at the man in front of me.

His eyes were closed and his head was tipped towards the sky. He looked so peaceful, and alive. As well as confident and sure. I wish I had that.

I wished I was okay being myself.

But I wasn't.

The last of my vision faded and I fell to the ground in a heap.

Life is Hell.

I shook myself. Now isn't the time to think about these things. I have a new start, I can change everything, be anyone.

But I just wished people wouldn't stare.

I could feel their eyes on me. On my back, my hidden face, my shoes. Everywhere. I honestly felt a little violated, and that's saying a lot since I've gone through even worse things.

I wish I never lost who I was.

Sulking into the front office, I appraoched the secretary and gave her a grimace. I couldn't smile anymore.

"Hello dear, What can I do for you?" She asked. I bit my lip.

"I'm new. I need my schedule." I said in a monotone voice. The secretary frowned.

"Name?" She asked.

"Willow Smith." I replied. She searched through a few files on her desk before handing over a freshly printed schedule.

"Here you go, sweetie. There's a map on the back, but this school isn't hard to figure out. Have a nice day." She smiled at me and I turned without so much as a goodbye.