Chapter 2

-Two and a half years later- 

-Tobias' POV-

Oh how the last two and a half years have passed by quickly.

Firstly, the kids are growing up so quickly and have already started developing their interests, Octavia loves art and space, whilst Orion loves music and playing instruments. They also both love nursery, and always ramble on about things they had done that day. Currently, it is a Saturday and both kids are being themselves. Octavia is sat quietly in the corner drawing something, whilst Orion is playing with lightsabers with his uncle--Lukas thought it'd be funny if he taught him how to dual with them. Even though he's only three and a half, he seems to be enjoying playing with the toy lightsaber.

"Hey guys, I'm ba--What is happening here?" Marina comes in holding a bag in one hand and her squid phone in the other. Headphones were connected and playing her and Pearl's music. "You don't wanna know Marina. Octavia is in the corner if you wanna see her, Orion won't put that toy down so don't try saying hi to him." I tell her. Nodding, she walks over to Octavia who looks up and runs over to give her a hug. "Did you get it Mawina?" She asks. Marina sits down and takes out a pack of pencils and crayons, passing them to the younger octoling along with a colouring book. Her face lit up and she gave Marina an even bigger hug, saying thanks and coming over to show me. "That's cool Ava, why don't you try them out? Cora still out with Sonia, Rina?" I ask, opening the stationary and passing it to a very happy Octavia. "Yeah, she is, they are just shopping at the moment. Also, I got a toy guitar for Orion and I know you said not to spoil them, but I couldn't help myself. I got them both headphones and mp3 players with a load of music on them to match the styles I think they'll like. Octavia has music from Linkin Park, Guns and Roses, Alan Walker, a few songs from Musicals, by that I mean the full soundtrack of Hamilton, and some other bits like 'I'm In Love With An E-girl', 'Teenagers', and some instrumentals. Orion has different music, more lo-fi hip hop and techno music than anything. Of course they both have music from me and Pearl, and the Squid Sisters." "That's great Marina, thanks. And no, it isn't spoiling them, its called preparing for future birthdays and Christmases." I reply, taking them and putting them in my trouser pocket. 

As me and Marina are talking, the door opens up and in comes Cora. Smiling at her, I go take her bags and put them on the floor beside the couch. "Mummy!" The kids shout in unison, running up towards her and hugging her legs. "Hello Octavia and Orion. Can mummy have a second to speak to daddy?" Nodding, they let go and she grabs my hand, taking me to our bedroom. "Had a good day sweetheart?" I ask. "Yes I have. I just need to talk to you about something." "What is it?" "They are back. I saw them. Something is happening." "Who are back? Who did you see?" "The hybrids... The ones Sonia controlled..." She looked as if she was going to breakdown right there. Pulling her into my chest, I wrap my arms around her and put my chin on her head. "It's all gonna be ok, 1 and 2 are holding the fort down, even if 2s sanitized leg is somehow spreading the sanitization from that mission years ago. They'll call us when we are needed. Everyone is safe." "Promise?" "Promise. Now, does my princess want to go spend some time with her family?" She giggles and says yes before pulling me into a kiss and saying, "Love you 8." I respond with, "Love you 3." Before taking her hand and directing her to the living room.

For the next hour, we watched the kids try to fight with lightsabers before becoming bored and doing their own things; Octavia drew and Orion played with his new toy guitar. Then, out of no where, Cora goes of to her room and comes back in later wearing a beanie, hoodie with dungarees, and a guitar. She sits down and tunes it to ear before playing a few tunes, getting the attention of the kids and all the adults. "When did you learn to play guitar?" Lukas asks his sister. "Highschool. I may have been an agent, and also had to balance studying and course work along with my nerdy interests, but I managed to learn a few things on guitar." "Well looks like the kids take after us then. Orion liking instruments and Octavia liking drawing." I add on. A little while longer we played with the kids and talked to the other couple, but soon enough it was the kids bedtime and both Lukas and Marina had to get home. We said our farewells before taking the kids to bed and singing Into the Light like we always did.

I sit on the couch, Cora laid beside me, head on my lap and playing with her wedding ring. As I play with her hair, I place a kiss on her forehead before beginning to talk. "You ok? You're playing with your ring again, and that usually means that you are worried about something, or anxious or paranoid." She looks up to me and sigh, "I'm just worried about the hybrids, that's all. I mean, look at our past, we've never really had the best run with hybrids and octarians." I get what she means. All our main missions in the past have always ended up in really bad injuries, near death, actual death in Cora's case, and then also turning evil. "As I've already said, everything will be ok, 1 and 2--" Instinctively, I stop as I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. Cora sits up and looks at me, confused and wondering who it was. Taking one look at the phone screen, I instantly answer it.

"8, you and 3 are needed at headquarters tomorrow. We have a bit of a problem on our hands..."

A.N: Hey! Another chapter out, yay! Yes it may seem that this is all just character development chapters, but it's essential to the story line. Leaving you on a bit of a cliff hanger today, and you won't find out why they were called for a few chapters now. Just know that this all links to the 4th book in the series, one that includes all theses hybrids. 

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and are prepared for what is to come in the future with this book! -Catalyst