Chapter 1: A simple wish, for a fresh start

It was now mid-December 2021. Joe Biden was now the President of the United States and Kamala Harris was his vice-president. And what about Peyton? She has served for a single four-year-contract in the US Marines before being honorably discharged. Now she works for USA Today as a journalist.

Speaking about her, she was actually seating in her director-in-chief's office. The man was a good and competent man named Perry Brassel, who hired Peyton after seeing she served in the Marines as a combat correspondant in Syria, Afghanistan, Ivory Coast, Central African Republic, Congo, Sahel and Djibouti. Now, the two of them were discussing Peyton's next assignment.

"Sir, I insisted with the boss several times to cover conflicts. Yet, he decided to put me dull articles. I like adrenaline rushes, you know." Peyton told her boss.

"I understand. I also insisted for you to cover the deployment of UN Forces in Cyprus, Lebanon, Congo, Central African Republic, Ivory Coast, Western Sahara and Mali. Like when you were in the Marines. But they listened to me only one time, when they sent you to South Sudan. The management decided to send you to cover royal weddings and successful peace negociations instead. But this year, you're going to cover a drawdown. Do you know the book 'A Christmas Prince' and its sequels?" Perry asked his employee.

"Yeah, and turns out it was real life, too. There are fewer and fewer countries involved in the US-led Coalition while more and more join the UN Forces." Peyton replied.

"The manager decided to send you there, because Coalition troops are becoming fewer and fewer while the UN forces are more and more numerous. The UN allowed Coalition-involved countries to keep a minimum number of service members for QRF duties. I also managed to convince them to let you accompany Coalition troops. Bon voyage!" Perry answered giving Peyton a war reporter pass available for fifteen months.

Peyton took it and wrote down a note reading 'Thank You, Perry!' before leaving Perry's office. Perry smiled, as he finally managed to get Peyton an appropriate assignment.

Peyton then went to her own cubicle, took her coat and headed towards the parking lot, where she walked to her car and started it. After driving home, Peyton put on a pair of blue jeans, a khaki blazer, a checkered short-sleeved shirt, a pair of brown Suede flat-healed boots, a black Kevlar vest with 'PRESS' written on in white letters and her trusty black MICH helmet. This very outfit was worn by Peyton in South Sudan. The young journalist then put more spare clothes and surplus-bought military camouflage uniforms in her suitcase, knowing she could need to dress like the service members she will accompany.

After getting dressed, Peyton took a train to Hampton, where she boarded a C-17 cargo plane alongside some US Army soldiers, who were all aware she was the journalist who would cover their deployment, as were the crew.

Once aboard the plane, Peyton prepared her laptop and laptop charger before putting them in her bag. Then, a soldier tapped Peyton's shoulder, prompting her to turn around.

"Yes. What do you want?" Peyton yelled.

"We'll be landing at Main Operation Base Billy Mitchell, near the local international airport. There, you will meet LtGen Hamilton Rollins. He's the commander of all the Coalition forces. There will also be Gen Thierry Guézénec, the chief of the UN forces." the soldier informed her.

"Thanks. I won't accompany you, then." Peyton deduced.

"That's it. You will follow whatever patrol you're assigned to. But you will switch from one to another, to avoid boredom." the soldier concluded before falling asleep.

Peyton herself fell asleep as the plane flew straight towards Main Operation Base Billy Mitchell, where it landed, causing Peyton and the sleeping soldiers to wake up. After the plane stopped rolling, Peyton and the soldiers dismounted it as other US soldiers boarded the plane, which would go back home.