Chapter 11: Dam Americans

In mid-September 2022, four days after a 9-11 remembrance service, Peyton was going to accompany all of the American troops of the Coalition in a civil-military cooperation mission. This mission involved Maj Heather Blackwood from the US Marines, Cpt Piper Jackson from the US Air Force, LT Miller from the US Navy, Col Spencer Andrews from the US Army and their men. The young journalist also got a mail from Perry informing her she would have to leave Coalition forces on February 2023 to replace a colleague, who was a guest at his best friend's wedding.

Maj Blackwood's forces comprise 20 Abrams tanks and their crews, 5 M88A3 wreckers and their crews, 5 CH-53Ks, 3 UH-1Ys and 2 AH-1Zs plus their crews, as well as 160 US Marines, while the US Army contributes with 2 wreckers, 10 tanks, 2 Apaches 3 Blackhawks, 5 Chinooks and 110 soldiers. The USAF sent 10 HH-60Gs and 240 airmen whereas the Navy has 10 MH-60Ses and 240 Seabees participating in the Coalition forces.

Peyton will go from one branch to another for every operation the US forces will perform. Today, the mission will involve putting two turbines in a nearby hydroelectric dam to increase the production of the dam. The operation will be supported by US troops, but lead by the UN forces. 

"Okay, guys. Today, we will perform a CIMIC mission. The UN guys asked us to help them deliver two turbines to a nearby electric dam to update it to modern production standards.

Be aware of ambushes, potholes, breakdowns, IEDs and UXOs. This mission is just as dangerous and boring as the others you all performed, but everybody knows why he or she's here. We got a job to do, so let's do it.

The plan is simple: first, the Cpt Jackson and her men will unload the turbines from a C-17 Globemaster before Col Andrews and his forces load them into a Seabee truck. The Navy personel, led by LT Miller, will then hand them over to the UN convoy who will deliver it to the dam, with Maj Blackwood's Marines as escort." LtGen Rollins announced to everyone.

With no one asking any question, LtGen Rollins dismissed Peyton and the US troops, who took their equipment and weapons, with Peyton taking a Mossberg 500 shotgun and a SIG-Sauer M18 pistol for self-protection. The US Marines, Airmen, Soldiers and Seabees also took enough water for the duration of their mission.

Just after a C-17 landed with its precious cargo, marking the beginning of the operation, Cpt Jackson and her men unloaded the turbines under the watch of the Air Force and Army helicopters and soldiers. Peyton snapped pictures of the first step of the mission while Jackson and her troops moved the fifteen-ton turbines to the safe area, where two CH-47s were to carry them to Navy trucks.

After Jackson and her men strapped the two huge machines to the Army CH-47s, Col Andrews and his soldiers carried them to the staging area, where the Seabees waited for them, then put the turbines on two Navy MTVR trucks with the US Navy Seabees providing security for the US Army soldiers.

Peyton then boarded one of the vehicles before the convoy started driving from the base. During the trip, there was no big problems that delayed the operation, yet the trucks suffered from the usual breakdowns and punctured tires. LT Miller and his sailors managed to drive to the rendezvous point with the UN forces, who had been there for thirty minutes when the Seabees arrived.

"Ten minutes before deadline." a UN officer told Miller as he disembarked his Humvee.

"Yeah, we had road issues with rocks puncturing tire, sand clogging the engines, but apart from these setbacks, the operation went well." Miller explained.

LT Miller and his Seabees then carefully transfered their huge cargo to the UN trucks before driving off while Peyton linked up with the US Marines under the orders of Maj Blackwood. Peyton then wanted to know something and inquired Maj Blackwood.