Chapter 13: Lithuanians' November Men

At mid-November 2022, Peyton was now assigned to the Lithuanian Land Forces' C Company, Grand Duchess Birute Uhlan Battalion, Iron Wolf Mechanized Infantry Brigade. The company was part of Lithuania's Task Force Black Eagle, which also comprised A Company, Prince Magiris Motorized Infantry Battalion, Zemaitija Motorized Infantry Brigade. Both companies were assigned to the Coalition since October 2022, replacing B Company, Grand Duke Kestutis Motorized Infantry Battalion and A Company Grand Duke Algirdas Mechanized Infantry Battalion.

This day of November was a particular one, since they were planning a showdown on a suspiciously situated compound. That compound was suspected of harboring a sleeper cell financed by the North Korean intelligence services. Right after the breakfast, Peyton and C Company gathered in front of their M113A2 vehicles, where their captain, a woman in her 30s, started the briefing.

"Today, we initiate Operation November Man. The goal of the operation is to dismantle the sleeper cell in the compound in the southeasternmost corner of the Green Zone. We suspect this cell is financed by North Korean intelligence services and are using this money and training to buy high-end military-grade weaponry before smuggling them to Europe, North America, Australia and the Middle East, where they are used by the terrorist cells.

Next up, the AO. The compound is made of two buildings. The first one is a two-story L-shaped buildings with a flat rooftop. The second one is a glass greenhouse. These buildings are put according to a line of parallel geometry. They are the only ones present in the area, we can't miss them.

Our company will be divided in two groups, one for the greenhouse and one for the L-shaped building. The two assaults are to take place simultaneously at night, so we will go at dusk in our vehicles before launching the assault at 01:00. So take night-vision device and lasers for your weapons to avoid friendly fire incidents. But the building is also an apartment building, meaning there are civilians in the area, so watch your fire out there. We don't know how many gunmen are there, nor the apartment they are in, so we have to search them one by one. Any question?" the captain briefed everyone.

Seeing no one was asking anything, the captain dismissed everyone. Then, Peyton and C Company took their equipment and weapons. They also modified their weapons with a laser pointer and took night-vision equipment for tonight's operation. Everyone then ate some cold rations before preparing their vehicles for Operation November Man.

Then, as Peyton and C Company saw the sunset, they boarded their M113A2s before rolling to the targeted compound. After hours driving in the dark with only red lights as references, the convoy arrived a hundred meters from the compound where the M113A2s dismounted their infantry.

The Lithuanians the split in two groups, one heading for the greenhouse and the other to the apartment building. Peyton chose to accompany the second group and ran alongside them towards the apartment building. The two groups assaulted their target simultaneously, leaving no chance for their targets. First group thoroughly searched the greenhouse, but they found nothing minus gardening tools and seeds.

"This is Charwood 2-1, we found nothing in the greenhouse. Repeat, we found nothing. Out" the Lithuanian commander said on his radio before he and his men motioned the vehicles to come near them.

Meanwhile, Peyton and the second group searched the apartment building. The first apartment was breached, but the soldiers only found groggy civilians. The same happened in the other apartments until Peyton saw a Lithuanian soldier kicking the forty-sixth door, upon which he fired on an armed individual, injuring him with a leg shot, before handcuffing the individual. A second then a third Lithuanian came in the building and quickly knocked two other armed individuals out before handcuffing them. At apartment number forty-seven, two other individuals were arrested by the Lithuanian troops before four others got arrested in apartments forty-eight and forty-nine. Operation November Man was ultimately a success with nine prisoners and their ties with North Korean intelligence services confirmed. The Lithuanians found four wallets full of money as well as huge amounts of ammunition, twenty pistols and twenty rifles.