Chapter 5: UK Mate and a proper British welcome

In mid-March 2022, Peyton was now with the British contingent. She would accompany the British Army's Royal Welsh for the whole thirty days that would follow, as the British Army annually sent in a single battalion to help their local allies to deal with counter-terrorism.

But for now, Peyton was currently in the briefing room with C Coy, 1 Royal Welsh, alongside with A and B Coys of the same battalion, waiting for the company commander, a Lieutenant Colonel named Lewis Frost. Just as the soldiers and Peyton were beginning to chat, Frost's right-hand yelled, "Attention!"

"At ease!" LtCol Frost yelled, prompting everyone to sit down.

Peyton and the Welsh soldiers sat down, with their pistols holstered and listened to LtCol Frost, as they knew their lives depended on this briefing, which involved orders for a five-day mission in the Grey Zone, where there were still attacks, even the UN forces and local militaries were becoming more and more efficient and popular there.

"Okay, lads. Our mission, codename Operation Wilfred Harris, consists in going into the centre of the Grey Zone, where an insurgency involving fundamentalists has begun to form. In a propaganda video, they explicitely stated their goal was to build a totalitarian regime founded upon the Decalogue as the single ideology and law. They call themselves the Army of God. The local military forces have managed to force the fundamenlists to seal off the village of Batmanville.

Now, up to the topography of the AO. There's one big main street crossing the centre from East to West with the secondary street crossing the centre from North to South. There are also a lot of smaller streets parallel to the central street and alleys parallel to the second street. Downtown consists of a central place surrounded by a church, a mosque and a synagogue at the North side, the town hall, the shopping mall and the bookshop at the South, the garage, the gas station and the library at the West with the Eastern side consisting of the junior school, a senior school, a primary school and a nursery school. The western and eastern parts of the suburbs are residential one with a lots of small family houses, like the eastern part of the town. The northern and southern parts of those suburbs consist of residential buildings with a height comprised from three to seven stories. Last but not least, there's an abandonned factory one kilometre southeast of the village.

We will fist go in the village from southeast, northeast and southwest directions simultaneously. A Coy will take the northwestern part of the village, B Coy will go in the northeastern part while C Coy will take the southwestern part. We will regroup in the central part before launching the final assault. For the operation, I managed to obtain the authorization from the royal families of Aldovia and Penglia to call in the Warrior IFVs alongside our Foxhound LPPVs, Jackal MWMIKs and Panther CLVs. We are to watch out for snipers, RPGs and machine guns. Remember, there are 1,000 civilians in the area so watch where you shoot. Once we take Batmanville, we hand the control to the UN and local militaries. Any question?" Frost explained to everyone.

Seeing no one was asking anything, Frost then ordered everyone to pack their stuff and board the Warrior IFVs, Jackal MWMIKs, Foxhound LPPVs and Panther CLVs. Peyton put on her Kevlar vest and MICH helmet before strapping a loaded and chambered Glock-17 pistol to her waist. British soldiers loaded and chambered L85A3 assault rifles, some fitted with a L123A2 underslung grenade launchers, L129A1 marksman rifles, L7A2 machine guns, L115A3 sniper rifles and L128A1 shotguns, one of which was given to Peyton for self-defense. The British soldiers around her put on Virtus ballistic protections, as well as night-vision device, and packed enough rations for five days before setting out.

Peyton and C Coy boarded their vehicles before A and B Coys boarded their own vehicles. After everyone was set, the sentries of the base raised the barriers, allowing the battalion to pass, before closing the barrier behind them, as Operation Wilfred Harris was a strictly British operation. After arriving towards the impregenable cordon at night, the Welsh soldiers dismounted their vehicles, which remained in support of the infantry. A Coy came in the village with no resistance while B Coy met a fundamentalist armed with an AKM rifle, who was quickly gunned down by a Welsh grenadier. C Coy and Peyton met more difficulties in their part of the suburbs, as they were soon met with machine gun fire. But the enemy was little too confident, as the Warrior vehicles operating in support spotted the two gunmen and killed them with a short burst from their 30mm cannon.