Chapter 7: Aussies and Zack

By mid-May 2022, Peyton was now assigned with LtCol Harry Rossum's Task Force Long Tan, comprising A Squadron 2/14 Light Horse Regiment (Queensland Mounted Infantry), B Coy 5RAR, Logistics Coy 1RAR, C Squadron 2nd Cavalry Regiment and 109th Battery 4th Regiment RAA. Peyton will specifically be embeded among A Squadron 2/14 LHR(QMI) and their ASLAV armored transports. By that day, the situation has gotten way better, with the  Czech and Polish contingents leaving the Coalition and joining the UN forces by providing 300 peacekeepers each, to help their UN teammates secure the newly-controled territories.

Before that day's patrol, Peyton and A Squadron were attending the briefing session by their captain, a woman in her late 30s who was two inches taller than Peyton. The briefing started as soon as everyone had made a school circle.

"Okay, mates, listen. Our job is to perform one of the usual security patrols into the ex-Grey Zone. The local militaries and UN forces completely secured the Green Zone, thus enlarging the Blue Zone. The UN forces also got enlarged thanks to the British, Czech and Polish forces providing peacekeepers. If the Grey Zone had been reclassified as Green, it's still dangerous and we still need to perform security patrols while the UN and local government take the reins.

For today, our patrols will apply the usual ROEs. Full magazine, safety off and empty barrel. Watch out for RPGs, snipers, automatic weapons, UXO and IEDs. Even if the area has been declared secured, we are to keep our eyes peeled and be on the watch.

Remember we have civilians in the area, so if you are to shoot, watch were you aim. We're not here for war, but to support a withdrawal while our new base is being built for an expected activation in June 2022. Any question?" the captain asked.

As no one answered, Peyton, the captain and A Squadron loaded their equipment and enough food for fifteen days, with Peyton arming herself with a SIG-Sauer P320 and a Remington 870P in addition to her equipment and fifteen days worth of rations. The Australian soldiers and their captain took their weapons before everyone boarded the vehicles and rolled out of the base towards the patrol area. Once the ASLAVs arrived at the patrol area, the convoy started to move at a snail's pace in order to avoid any nasty surprise.

The convoy suddenly went to an abrupt stop, as the lead vehicle, an ASLAV-25, saw an overturned civilian truck, causing the soldiers to around the wreckage and look at it in case a directional charge was hidden in the wrecked vehicle. Fortunately, there were none. Instead, there were local paramedics taking the injured passengers and drivers to ambulances before taking them to the hospital. The Aussies and Peyton then arrived at a crossroad where they saw UN peacekeepers holding a checkpoint.

Just then, A Squadron's radios called out and the captain replied.

"This is Dagger Actual, come in, over."

"This is Long Tan Actual. Your new mission is to patrol the whole Green Zone before going back to base, over." LtCol Harry Rossum told in the radio.

"Copy that. Out" captain replied.

With this new piece of information, A Squadron rolled at median speed, still watching around them for any nasty surprise. After long hours of a boring patrol, the patrol stopped for the hottest hours of the day. Peyton and the Aussies enjoyed some rations before taking a nap. Three hours later, A Squadron and Peyton boarded their vehicles back and kept on until sunset, when they reached a hilltop. Once they established their security perimeter, the Australians and Peyton ate some more rations before performing rotating sentry duties for the entire duration of the night.

At dawn, A Squadron ate their meal before Peyton and the Aussies kept on with their multi-day operation. In her ASLAV-PC, Peyton then decided to interview the soldiers in the vehicle. She knew her other colleagues would have a better article with more readers than her article with the Australian Army.