Chapter 9: Latvian Sheriff

In mid-July 2022, Peyton was assigned to the Latvian mechanized company of Latvian Task Force 29. After the usual breakfast, Peyton and the Latvian soldiers gathered around the briefing area, with their CVR(T)s, BV-206As, G-Class armored SUVs and Humvees. The captain and other Latvian soldiers then jumped to the briefing.

"Okay, fellas. Today's the start of a 3-day patrol in the Green Zone. Keep applying the current Rules Of Engagement. Remember, we are to be on high alertness level 24/7. Watch out for snipers, IEDs, RPGs, machine guns, unstable grounds and UXO.

Our patrol area will be that road, which we dubbed 'The Devil's Road' because of the potholes on the hole. So keep your eyes open. Also remember the local sheriff doesn't like static tanks, so if you see a pothole, go off the road. Any question?" the captain said to everyone.

"What if the sheriff gets shot while we're here?" Peyton asked jokingly.

"Well, just say you shot the sheriff, but you didn't shoot the deputy." the captain joked, knowing there were few chances for that to happen.

Peyton and the men then took their weapons and equipment, with Peyton having a G36KV rifle and a Glock-17 pistol, before boarding their CVR(T)s. The patrol then rolled on the paved road, encountering nothing but the hot summer temperatures, which forced everyone to drink frequently to avoid dehydration. For three hours, the vehicles rolled without any contact with any enemy or any other problem.

At 13:00, the convoy parked on the side of the Devil's Road and enjoyed a meal mainly composed of parts of their rations before boarding their vehicles back to continue their patrol. The company kept rolling until a crossroad, where they were stopped by six men dressed like Austrian UN soldiers and six others dressed like French UN peacekeepers.

The suspicious Latvians and Peyton chambered their weapons and pointed them to the invidiuals, who suddenly raised their rifles towards the Latvians. As soon as that happened, the commander of the lead Latvian vehicle fired the KsP58 machine gun at the fake French peacekeepers, killing three of them with multiple shots to the chest. The commander of the second vehicle fired the Browning M2A1 at the fake Austrian soldiers, killing four and forcing the others to take cover. Four Latvian fireteams dismounted their vehicles and flanked the imposters with Peyton in tail. The fake peacekeepers immediately surrendered, upon which the Latvians captured them and handed them over to the real UN peacekeepers, who had just arrived and planned to stay there until their comrades were found.

As the Latvians posted a 360-degree security, Peyton found the dead bodies of the real French and Austrian peacekeepers, who had their throat slit before the terrorists stole their uniform. In the terrorists' pocket, the soldiers found plans to ambush a UN convoy, use the vehicles to carry their four accomplices and blow the explosive-filled vehicles in the middle of crowded concerts.

Speaking of the four accomplices, they were spotted fleeing by a Latvian gunner, who laid suppressive fire on so that Peyton and the Latvian soldiers with her could flank them. But the soldiers had no choice but to kill the accomplices, as they were drug-crazed and fanaticized.

Once the swift contact was over, the terrorists were thoroughly searched, revealing they were only sixteen terrorists with no ties to any bigger group. The fanatical terrorists were then brough to jail before their trial in the Hague for terrorism and conspiracy.

After the local police and the UN peacekeepers took over, the Latvians and Peyton resumed their patrol, upon which they stumbled upon a huge pothole. The convoy went off road, avoiding the huge hole, which was cause by extremely cold temperatures, while the workers were filling it with a big amount of concrete.

The convoy then kept rolling without further problems before stopping in a grassy plain, where everyone enjoyed an evening meal before beginning a long night of watch and short moments of sleeping. After finishing her meal, Peyton typed her daily article and sent it via an email to her mentor Perry before going to sleep.