practice

I didn't pay attention at all during class, and no one seemed to notice other than Tsukki. Our walk to school was silent, and I didn't say a word to him throughout the day. I was waiting for an update on what was happening with my parents, but the Principal said nothing has been decided yet, and that they were still waiting on the warrant to search the house for any sign of abuse.

When lunch came I picked at my food while everyone laughed and joked with each other. I felt drained in more than one way, like I wouldn't be able to smile even if I tried. I knew everyone saw my odd mood, and I was sure Tsukki was giving them a look that said not to question it. 

"Yama, are you ok?" Suga asked me quietly, making sure not to gather too many people's attention. I looked up at him, not finding the strength in me to smile. 

"Yeah, Suga-san, I'm fine," I said. 

"Just know you can come to any of us if you need help. We're all here for you," Suga smiled gently, but all I could manage was a weak nod. 

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, immediately making my heart rate rise as anxiety pooled in my stomach. I squeezed my eyes shut as I pulled it out, turning on the screen and glancing down at the message. 

Mom: Why the fuck didn't you come home last night? Too scared to face me, pussy? 

Mom: I'll beat your ass the next time I see you, bitch!

I let out a shaky breath as I slowly handed my phone over to Tsukki. His fingers turned white as they gripped the phone, his eyebrows furrowing as he glared daggers at the screen. 

"Tsukki, it's fine, she won't do anything," I whispered, putting a hand on his arm. 

"No shit! She won't get close to you if I have any say in the matter!" Tsukki growled, his voice low and full of anger. He turned off the phone and shoved it in his pocket, deciding to keep it away from me in case she texted again. 

The bell rang, signifying the end of lunch. Tsukki took my hand as we walked through the halls towards our classroom, his hand tight and protective. 

The lectures continued, but I didn't pay attention. My leg bounced and my fingers tapped on my desk with a sudden burst of nervous energy that I couldn't dispel. I glanced over at Tsukki during class, noticing how he was watching me. 

"Can we go to practice today? I want to let out some energy," I whispered to him. He thought for a minute. 

"Are you sure? Maybe it's a little too soon," He whispered back, but I simply shook my head. 

"I'm fine, but I want to run and let out energy," I explained. Tsukki eventually nodded, discreetly pulling out his phone to text his mom about the change of plans. He gave me a small nod, telling me that his mom agreed. 

After that I was able to concentrate a little more on my work, having something to look forward to after class ended. 

Tsuki and I walked to the gym, the silence around us was comfortable, but tense at the same time. He pushed the door open for me, allowing me to walk in first. Coach Ukai spotted me immediately and rushed over. 

"Yamaguchi, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be resting or something?" He asked. 

"I wanted to practice, Sir," I said in a small voice, wrapping my arms around myself. 

"Tadashi, a lot's happened yesterday, you should be cooling down after all that," he tried again, but I shook my head. 

"I want to train, please," I pleaded, watching as his face softened and he gave in.