1.1

Dust was supposed to be normal.

Dust stared out into the swamp, sighing a little before turning her head and staring at the roasted crocodile that she was sure most MudWings would like. The issue is, Dust wasn't a normal Mudwing. She preferred the night over the day, had sparkly scales under her wings, and was at least two shades darker than any MudWing she had known. Why did she look so peculiar? Why did she seem so off? Simple, she's a hybrid.

Most dragons would scoff or maybe even laugh but when you looked at her closer, it made sense. It made sense why her snout was a lot less flat than most MudWings. It made sense why her wings didn't round off like most. It made sense why she was an only child.

Random thing to mention for the last point, right? Thing is, the majority of Mudwings had at least two or three sibs to count on. Something with her other heritage absolutely screwed her over in being alone, even if that wasn't the only thing it screwed her over in.

What was her heritage you may ask? Consider the fact that she has scales under her wings that are silver and sparkle. Also, consider the fact that she has amber scales that looked like teardrops and a little natural bracelet of silver scales. Do you get it now? Do you understand that Dust's father is nothing more than a hated and infamous NightWing?

Luckily Dust didn't get much from that side, the scales under her wings only dotted on the fringes, her scales were only a little darker than most (that was an over-exaggeration earlier), and her eyes were a good old casual MudWing dark brown. Still, the scales near her eyes (scales that she assumed would be silver, purple, or blue if she was a full NightWing) and the slight physical differences were enough to give her away. Not that Dust really cared, others could say what they wanna say.

The only reason why it was even on her mind was because of Jade Mountain Academy. She had been accepted into the academy, although she didn't really get why they aimed for a weirdo like her. Had she asked to become apart of the school? Yes. Did she expect to actually get in? Not by the moons.

Sighing a little, Dust took only a moment more before starting to pick at her crocodile carcass. Only two more days. Two more days until the madness began.

{(:)}

Jade Moutain was swarming with dragons by the time Dust arrived. Landing as close to the edge as possible, Dust had to weave through the crowd to even try to get to the check-in area. Friends and family covered the place, saying goodbyes and playing around for a little while longer before leaving their dragonets alone.

The cave where everyone gathered was giant, spacious even though it seemed like it should've been cramped. Well, it was a little cramped with all the dragons around but who wanted to focus on that? Four tunnels connected to the cave, a banner above everyone's heads making Dust chuckle at the extravagance.

The front desk was clear by some miracle, the NightWing manning it grinning at Dust the moment she got close. Said NightWing was barely the size of a full-grown dragonet, still looking like a normal NightWing if one ignored the silver scales near her eyes that looked like teardrops. "Hello! Welcome to the Great Hall of Jade Mountain! I'm Fatespeaker, not quite one of the teachers but I do help out. Who are you?"

"Ah, I'm Dust," she said, bowing her head for a moment in respect. Teacher or not, Fatespeaker still technically ranked higher than her. That thought continued in her head for about five seconds before Dust mentally whacked herself with her tail.

Rankings do not matter anymore. There is no more war. The only war I need to worry about is my mental one, thought Dust, repeating those same thoughts for the fiftieth time since the peace began.